Removed IR filter off Effio camera...

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
AirRifleSport

Removed IR filter off Effio camera...

Post by AirRifleSport » 19 Aug 2013, 21:22

:wave: Just removed the IR filter off the Super Had II board camera...
I decided to have a go. My goodness what a tense moment, and that for a £20 board camera. I thought I had not too much to loose if it didn't work out. I guess the missus would make me do more chores if I had broken it and wasted money (again, :lol: ).

My plan was to remove it by putting a big drop of solder on the sensor's filter and while it was getting hot enough to soften the bonding glue, I would get my long nose pliers and gently lift it off the main glass protecting the sensor.

I gave it several attempts and on a couple of occasions the solder just slid off the filter and DROPPED ON THE PCB! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Luckily for me the solder did attach to a big component and I managed to remove it with the trusty solder sucker.
By this time I thought that I had already lost the battle, so, tried once more... ...Oh!!! not AGAIN!!!! This time the ball of molten solder had fallen on a different section! Again, I removed it from the components, all looked clean, ...too clean... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Shit! I'm sure that something is missing... SHIT!!!

There, staring at me... 2 tiny little silver dots, showing an empty rectangular frame, about 1mm x 0.5mm.
I had removed one of the tiniest components on the board. Searched all of the sucked up lead for something that could be fitting that rectangle. FOUND IT!! OOOH-SHIIIT! :oops: :oops:

I am not an electronic engineer but I think that was a resistor of some kind. At this point, I had that on my hands, a charred IR filter still stuck on the f*****g sensor and my hands were shaking bad enough that I thought I was going to have a fit of some sort.
So, after my sweet wife made be a nice Espresso (to counteract the shakes, ...OK, I am addicted to it), I went for it. I had to try and solder it down and hope for the best. Didn't know which way round it should have been soldered... just tried my 50/50 chance. :sick:

After several attempts, it stuck down, with the help of a mini screwdriver holding it in place.

OK... ...NOW, to the bloody filter...
Lost for lost I was determined to remove that blasted filter, so I decided to try the "Stanley knife" approach.

After about 15 minuter of trying to cautiously to prise the filter off on each corner, one small section came off and few minutes later the rest detached from the main glass. I knew that it wouldn't work but I had to try it, so I first connected the battery to the camera... nothing blew... next I got hold of my multimeter checking for any sign of the (+) and (-) being detected on the 4 pole jack... I felt a little reassured that I would not blow my new DVR, so I switched everything off, mounted the lens, connected the jack to the DVR and..... IT WORKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Relieved! It felt like winning the lottery. :mrgreen:

I have been waiting for darkness to come in order to do some testing on sensitivity and thought to write this post while waiting.

I will show the results shortly... providing the camera still works that is! :lol:

Franco
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

22-250jock

Re: Removed IR filter off Effio camera...

Post by 22-250jock » 19 Aug 2013, 21:30

nice one mate :clap:

hope it still works,

have you got a link to the camera. seem to remember it being similar to a one I got a while back, I tried to removed the filter on mine :oops: not a good ending i'm afraid :lolno:

cheers john
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

BT65

Post by BT65 » 19 Aug 2013, 22:37

:mrgreen:

Glad it all turned out well in the end mate.

Looking forward to seeing some footage of your new toy in action. :thumbup:

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 20 Aug 2013, 09:52

22-250jock wrote:nice one mate :clap:

hope it still works,

have you got a link to the camera. seem to remember it being similar to a one I got a while back, I tried to removed the filter on mine :oops: not a good ending i'm afraid :lolno:

cheers john
Here it is:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221219171004? ... 1439.l2649

If I would try it again, Next time I would put some kind of protector on the PCB components... that will save hassle. I reckon that if I had used a larger tip on the soldering iron, it would have been easier.

Youtube is not letting me upload the video that I done last night, for some reason it freezes. tried a few times but it is useless. As soon it is possible, I will upload it. :P
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 20 Aug 2013, 10:04

Don't lever the filter under the corners as it is almost certain to shatter or chip- use a scalpel blade/razor blade/craft knife under the edge and very gently press it between the layers, repeat on all 4 sides very gently until the glass lifts off. Did I say GENTLY?

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 20 Aug 2013, 10:24

I must invest on a craft knife. I wanted one for years but I have always used a Stanley blade.
Terry, I tried to gently push at the sides but had no luck but I could feel a gap on the corners and that's why I did it that way.
Maybe, it would be easier with the right blade. Oh... another thing... I cleaned the surface area of the sensor with methylated spirit, as I thought it was a goner but it worked pretty well.

Video is slowly uploading by the way.

Franco

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 20 Aug 2013, 10:29

Franco, let me have your address and I'll stick you one of the "Deluxe" :lol: craft knife sets in the post.

George

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 20 Aug 2013, 10:39

An offer that I can't refuse George! Thanks!

PM sent.

Franco

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 20 Aug 2013, 10:42

No problem.

George

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 20 Aug 2013, 11:28

I have my very first home build bullet cam in the back of a drawer somewhere - its a colour HAD one. You have inspired me to move it further up the pile so I'll find the time to have a looksee at it some point Franco - thanks. :thumbup: