Take 2 on Rolaids NV Top Camera Test

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Rolaids

Take 2 on Rolaids NV Top Camera Test

Post by Rolaids » 18 May 2013, 13:14

Hey Guys - after a lively discusion found here viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2933 comparing the Watec 902H2 Ulimate / EJ230 / MC-300 (Chinese) / Watec 910HX Prototype etc. - There was a desire to reshoot the footage with NO Sense-Up enabled.

So this link is 2 nights later under starry sky and no moon. I also included a little footage for my upcoming Pulsar N750 Review so you can see where it places :eh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q5ZXezirgw

:thumbup: Thanks again for all you input!! :thumbup:

Roland

jamez

Re: Take 2 on Rolaids NV Top Camera Test

Post by jamez » 18 May 2013, 14:40

Great Roland!

Sense-up x4 makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE! :clap:

I'd rather see a blurry fox out at the field than no fox at all :mrgreen:

For you guys running illuminators x4 sense-up is gonna mean better blend with available light and 4x less need for illumination power or twice the distance.
If your light previously was good for 150meters, this is gonna make that same light give the same intensity at 300meters! (squareroot(150*150*4))

I don't think more than 2x will be good with an auto-panning setup though...

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 18 May 2013, 15:56

Another well-thought out, nicely presented, video there, Roland. Thanks for going to the trouble.

Big thanks also for the forum banners, beginning and end :thumbup:

Cheers.
George

Rolaids

Post by Rolaids » 18 May 2013, 16:30

Your Welcome - George! ;)

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 18 May 2013, 16:32

image quolity does make life more pleasent through the night veiwing.

nice vid, keep them coming Rolaids :thumbup:
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 18 May 2013, 16:33

yeah, nice job on the banner adds

you just know i'm gonna have to buy a ej230 or whatever it is now, just to try it for meself lol
oslon black drivers
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2333

when asking for advice, please include what n.v device and/or illumination you already have (if any) and what rifles you intend to use them on...cheers

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 18 May 2013, 17:06

Very good bannerism going on there Roland. :thumbup:

I'm glad you mentioned arguments or debate bringing things on for the better good of NVD's. Hope you forgive me for this. :angel:

That area to the left of your rear garden is heavily overshadowed by the trees, and I think it's mostly that which isn't giving you a hard-on for the Watec 902H2. You didn't pan that camera up to view the 600 yard trees so there was if you like an unfair result because all the other cameras got to see both a more open area... and their better design options were made available to them.

I think it's fair to say that you hadn't used 902H2 at F:2 to its design potential. That camera can drag in a lot more from a faster lens aperture, note Watec specifications are at it's better potential of F1.4 IIRC, several multiples lower F's. To try and show what you have prevented the camera from seeing I hope you forgive me for bringing this video to the comparison table: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rK5fzt8h0A Note the explanatory text with it and that an F1.2 lens was used.

Could you try your 902H2 at it's best potential there mate? I don't think the sums that Jamez came up with took design features fully into account.

jamez

Post by jamez » 18 May 2013, 17:27

some bloke wrote: That area to the left of your rear garden is heavily overshadowed by the trees, and I think it's mostly that which isn't giving you a hard-on for the Watec 902H2. You didn't pan that camera up to view the 600 yard trees so there was if you like an unfair result because all the other cameras got to see both a more open area... and the better options were made available to them.
He did show the 600 yard trees with the 902h2, but only for a brief moment.
And I think Roland has tried all he can to push the 902h2 to it's maximum...
Agree that you could have run it over the field at f1.3, just like you did on the 910hx to show what that is doing.
There are sample variance on cameras and of course it could be that the exact 902h2 Roland is using is some of the worse samples also??

I was impressed with the sense-up-off-test that the ej230 show a tad more detail than the 910hx does (at f2.0).
Kind of dissapointed that the 1/2" in the 910hx doesnt give a full stop advantage over the ej230.
That probably just confirm that the ej230 drives that 1/3" ccd really efficiently and gets it potential out really good.
The ej230 really is a fantastic deal if you're not going to be using sense-up...

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 18 May 2013, 17:36

I just took a second look - you are correct, sorryee. :angel:

But I think he said it was at F.2? Going back to check that now lol - forgetfull old age see. :oops:

Huh - digging myself into a bigger hole lol. It was the last video that it was used at F.2. :crazy:

So what F stop was it used at in this vid please Roland? I'm sure it should do better than that TBH.

jamez

Post by jamez » 18 May 2013, 17:49

I think he shows the 902h2 at 75mm f2.0 just like he does with the 910hx at the first pass...
You'll just have to figure what that extra stop improvement f2.0 -> f1.3 makes for the 902h2.
It's not like the 902h2 is a bad camera! Remember these are the best cams we've been able to find, and the differences between the cameras isn't all that much...

Rolands back yard with clear sky and no moon looks like a a really dark place :lol:
Seems to be a nice clear sky with not much light pollution :)