Rolaids Results - Watec's Surprise Loss and Awesome Future!

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Rolaids

Rolaids Results - Watec's Surprise Loss and Awesome Future!

Post by Rolaids » 11 May 2013, 11:51

:wtf: :wtf: :thumbup: :think: :crazy: :crazy: :thumbdown: :shock: :thumbdown: :silent: :silent: :? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap: :clap: :angel: :angel: 8-) 8-)

If only smiley's could talk... ;) .....I will let the video do all the talking along with this one chart below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ--jL5tks8

PESCA

Re: Rolaids Results - Watec's Surprise Loss and Awesome Futu

Post by PESCA » 11 May 2013, 12:22

Thanks for that Roland. Some very thorough testing and some surprising results too :o .

Not a criticism, but do you think that utilising the Sense-Up feature on some of the cameras is a fair test? As we're aware, in a hunting/spotting situation, sense-up can be a hindrance rather than a benefit. Just curious.

By the way, any chance for a head-up to the forum alongside one of your vids :thumbup: ?

Thanks again.
George

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 11 May 2013, 12:32

Thats roland :clap: , that new watec looks very good , the only problem i can see it aint going to be cheap , anyone want to buy a kidney ? :mrgreen:

Rolaids

Post by Rolaids » 11 May 2013, 13:16

PESCA wrote:Thanks for that Roland. Some very thorough testing and some surprising results too :o .

Not a criticism, but do you think that utilising the Sense-Up feature on some of the cameras is a fair test? As we're aware, in a hunting/spotting situation, sense-up can be a hindrance rather than a benefit. Just curious.

By the way, any chance for a head-up to the forum alongside one of your vids :thumbup: ?

Thanks again.
George
You have a great point on the Sense-Up or not. Here's the thought process. Every camera was adjusted using all the available features that the manufacturer allows. As I mentioned in the video I believe 4x is the MAX anyone will want to go. An example is - the EJ230 doesn't access/use Sense-Up in the same way other cameras do. They (KT&C) have used other 'auto' functions that do a similar and sometimes better function of keeping a great image in changing environments. And the chinese knock off uses the Sense-Up (when backed off from the 4x max the EJ230 definitely is the higher quality camera!)

There is so much techie detail in all this relating to each manufacturer and how they build their board around the same Sony CCD. This is partially why I tested this as so many have asked about all different cameras with same specs/CCD/etc. Even if the same CCD the results can be significantly different and may not be worth the savings.

Georger - PM me some thoughts on how you would like a plug for the forum. l would love too! (I did edit and include a link on this video description) :)

jamez

Post by jamez » 11 May 2013, 13:24

You rock, Roland ! :clap:

And the results are about as good as I hoped they would - for the 910hx!
But I must say the 902h2 was a surpricing disappointment. I didn't think the ej230 was going to outperform it!

George, I do think 4x sense-up is 100% usable in a hunting situation. The 1/15 sec blur is not going to matter! You have to shoot when your target is standing still any ways. And if you're not having a too long focal lenght lens, or too high mag on your scope, gun movement is not going to be a problem at all - you have to hold your gun steady for a good shot ;)
And the 910hx is still ~3 stops better than the 902h2 with sense-up turned off... And better than the ej230 with sense-up off...

ej230 vs mc300 seem like a toss up, and a descision on how you would like to mount the cam. A cs-mount without adaper is great.
I do think this mc300 will make a really nice spotter cam. For a spotter I guess you could even get away with 8x or 16x sense-up...

I think the ej230 with sense-up would be faboulous, but I dont think the effio-S chip that allow sense-up has the same low read noise as the effio-E chip in the the ej230... Or maybe the ej230 is using a better class ccd?

Faboulous results, but I'm still curious how a mallincam junior would be compared to the 910hx. Its the most likely cam to perform as good or better. I think we're having a toss-up there as well, maybe the 910hx having a small advantage because of the new exview II sensor and black and white only. But Mallincam with icx828 might have a small edge on the Watec. And its 2-300$ less probably.

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 11 May 2013, 13:32

nice reveiw there.. :thumbup:

any clues on the price of the new watec?
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

jamez

Post by jamez » 11 May 2013, 13:34

probably same price with new sensor and crosshairs...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... 0_TVL.html

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 11 May 2013, 13:41

Roland, point taken regarding my sense-up query and the equality of the tests.

Morton, I understand what you're saying, in regard to your quarry standing still for the shot, but, IMHO, I still feel that when scanning, sense-up can be a headache.

Roland, not looking for a huge advertising campaign from you, honestly. Maybe a mention in your accompanying text to your videos? Just a thought ;)

George

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 11 May 2013, 14:02

ooo stinga lol
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

Marky610

Post by Marky610 » 11 May 2013, 14:03

Sorry fella's but sense up is one big no no in the field.
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?