Homemade NV setup finished AT LAST

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Evo

Homemade NV setup finished AT LAST

Post by Evo » 26 Apr 2013, 17:51

hi all,finally finished my night vision, and i have to say i,m very impressed with the outcome,anyway here is the finished article

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aNYuNM ... detailpage

michael40

Re: Homemade NV setup finished AT LAST

Post by michael40 » 26 Apr 2013, 19:44

well done Bob, cant beat making your own kit, better still when it only cost £100

ideal seat up for your daystate.

atb, mike

BT65

Post by BT65 » 26 Apr 2013, 19:59

Good stuff, and now I'd like to see regular Youtube updates of multiple rat shooting mayhem from you.

Lots and lots of rat splatting please. :mrgreen:

Evo

Post by Evo » 26 Apr 2013, 21:35

BT65 wrote:Good stuff, and now I'd like to see regular Youtube updates of multiple rat shooting mayhem from you.

Lots and lots of rat splatting please. :mrgreen:
i,d be out all the time shooting rats but there are none on my three perms,gutted, would love to have a pop at them,so for now i think it will just be the rabbits lol

Evo

Post by Evo » 26 Apr 2013, 21:42

michael40 wrote:well done Bob, cant beat making your own kit, better still when it only cost £100

ideal seat up for your daystate.

atb, mike
thanks mike, it is a great feeling when you build your own and it works ha ha, now my next project is to build the torch for spotting,i,ve ordered all the parts and i,m just waiting for them to arrive,

got to be honest some of the night vision kits on here have really got me thinking,some of them are amazing and mine looks like something you would get out of a lucky bag lol,

cant believe just how interesting this homemade night vision saga really is, cant stop reading up on it and trying different things,also its nice to know there are some very helpful people on here willing to help you out,,its an awsome site bud

all the best Evo

michael40

Post by michael40 » 26 Apr 2013, 22:36

It looks good to me mate, at the end of the day if it works and your happy with it what more could you ask for, nobody knocks a tryer and this is the best place to show off your own
Home brew kit.

It might even help someone else start their own diy setup

And yes very addictive :mrgreen: .

Atb, mike

Evo

Post by Evo » 26 Apr 2013, 23:29

it is addictive mike,i am gonna put a parts list together for the lads who have pm,d me, the good thing is the whole setup will cost £100-£120 for the full build and it is superb for airrifle distances so i think a few of the lads will be putting it together,

anyway thanks again for ya encouragment,,now for my next IR project lol,

all the best Evo (Bob)

Hartshot

Post by Hartshot » 27 Apr 2013, 00:00

Excellent results there Bob :thumbup:

You can improve the existing 502b torch you have there as well mate. You can focus the lens to give you more distance if you wanted to.

1, Remove the head and the little ally ring that holds the lens in and seats the reflector, leave the lens in place.
2, You'll need a spacer about 2mm to 3mm deep (a suitable combination of washer/shim or rubber o-ring works well) of the same diameter as the ally ring.
3, Put this directly behind the lens and screw the ally ring back in on top of the new washer/o-ring.

Putting the bezel/head and reflector back in you will find that it will only catch on a couple of threads to the main torch body, make sure you screw it back on straight so you don't ruin those threads ! If it won't go on first time then the washer/o-ring is most likely a little too thick and you may need to back off on thickness a little. The advantage of the o-ring style is that you can squeeze it a little.

What this does is get the LED nearer to the correct back focal length of the new lens you put in there.

What it will give you is a narrower, more intense and focussed beam = more distance.

Try it, and let us know how you get on buddy.

H
...is this a pistol in my hand, or am I just pleased to see you ?

Evo

Post by Evo » 27 Apr 2013, 07:27

Hartshot wrote:Excellent results there Bob :thumbup:

You can improve the existing 502b torch you have there as well mate. You can focus the lens to give you more distance if you wanted to.

1, Remove the head and the little ally ring that holds the lens in and seats the reflector, leave the lens in place.
2, You'll need a spacer about 2mm to 3mm deep (a suitable combination of washer/shim or rubber o-ring works well) of the same diameter as the ally ring.
3, Put this directly behind the lens and screw the ally ring back in on top of the new washer/o-ring.

Putting the bezel/head and reflector back in you will find that it will only catch on a couple of threads to the main torch body, make sure you screw it back on straight so you don't ruin those threads ! If it won't go on first time then the washer/o-ring is most likely a little too thick and you may need to back off on thickness a little. The advantage of the o-ring style is that you can squeeze it a little.

What this does is get the LED nearer to the correct back focal length of the new lens you put in there.

What it will give you is a narrower, more intense and focussed beam = more distance.

Try it, and let us know how you get on buddy.

H
thanks for that i,ll give it a try,working all weekend so wont be able to do it till monday evening but will give it a try defo,made up with the homebuild,and i tell ya this nightvision game has become really addictive, i,m gonna have a go at building the torch next to use as a spotter, then i think it will be onto building one of the 300yrd spotters,gives me something to do while her indoors is watching the soaps lol,anyway hartshot thanks for your help bud
all the best Evo

Hartshot

Post by Hartshot » 27 Apr 2013, 08:29

Edit : I have made a mistake on the 501 advice :oops: Official Plonker, me !

The lens needs to be closer to the LED not, further away. The reflector needs trimming back to bring the back focal length on the 28mm lens right.

I will leave it to the lads with more experience on this one to help you.

I'm off to kill myself with a piece of plasticine and a tomato :eh:

H
...is this a pistol in my hand, or am I just pleased to see you ?