Must Read new 5" DVR

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
lenny.sch

Must Read new 5" DVR

Post by lenny.sch » 22 Apr 2013, 07:18

Hi guys. Stew, Try putting on charge for a few hours as it might have frozen in the on mode with no display and drained the battery..

I also went for what also appeard as the ants pants of recorders but it has issues !!!
It won't record in black and white, it appears it has a software or firmware problem with Black and White and won't sync lock so the hardware seems to stall trying to sync, or is so busy trying to it doesn't update the counter on the screen or accept button inputs and then shuts down.

If you use a colour camera in colour mode it will record fine even when it is black and white from the IR lamp or low light condition but if you let it go to BLACK and WHITE MODE it will freeze and the counter will slow or stop, if you reset your camera back to colour mode before it shuts down the counter will suddenly catch up and it will be fine with all the buttons now active so it will save the file !!

I sent my testing results off to the supplier I purchased it from so they can see what the can do..

Message I sent--

I did some searching on the net regarding the TE968H DVR and found some post on a Remote Control Plane
Forum who say these te968h DVR work OK but one guy says he had a problem recording in black and white!!

So I did some test and the results are as follows:

1. Mini Wireless colour camera that comes with the recorder.
Records fine in good light.

2. EXPENSIVE colour Day / Night wired bullet cam.
Records fine in good light ( COLOUR IMAGE ).
Record freezes at night ( BLACK and WHITE ).

3. EXPENSIVE wired Black and white IR Starlight camera.
Will not even start recording because it is black and white.

Testing worked like this.

With a colour camera in good light you start recording and the progress counter appears and starts to
count the progress time, you then press the stop button and it stops recording and saves the file.

With a colour camera in good light you start recording and the progress counter appears and starts to
Count the progress time, If you then move to a dark place or it gets dark and the camera changes to
Black and White the progress counter slows down or stops completely then the buttons won't work and the
recorder has frozen and doesn't save the recording then you must press the reset button to unfreeze it
or it may turn off completely by itself !!

With a Black and White camera it doesn't even want to start recording, as soon as you press the start
button it seems to freeze then you must press the reset button to unfreeze it !!

My conclusion is that the TE968H DVR works fine with a good COLOUR signal in both wireless and AV wired
Configuration but SUFFERS a software or firmware problem with Black and White!!
My Firmware version is B502.13.03.13.01

The recorder is supposed to be a surveillance recorder which is mostly night time so the cameras used

will have night mode which is sensitive Black and White with IR illumination which is what I am using

but the recorder will freeze in this mode and either shut down or need to be reset.

You will probably need to discuss this issue with the manufacturer to see if it can be resolved as the

recorder is useless as a security DVR Recorder in it's present configuration.

2014 UPDATE

Its Ironic after a year this should pop back up.
It was only last week i sent Roland an email telling him that it is possible to record in black and white mode from a colour cam by
going into the menu of the camera and in the Colour, Auto, B/W mode section you turn the colour burst on and what that does is
tell the camera to continue sending the colour sink signal even in B/W mode and this stops the recorder freezing.

And also there apears to be a software Update flash as well, Read page 2.!!

Regards: lenny
Last edited by lenny.sch on 29 Mar 2014, 23:11, edited 2 times in total.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Must Read new 5" DVR

Post by some bloke » 22 Apr 2013, 07:34

Bugger dammit and blast, I wish I hadn't put the link up for it now. :(

slimbo1973

Post by slimbo1973 » 22 Apr 2013, 07:52

Lenny your bang on the money

Gutted. I'm still waiting on an answer from the supplier.

Stew
Shit Shot Stew

michael40

Post by michael40 » 22 Apr 2013, 07:53

stew, if its stuck try this. hold down the power on button and the volume up button at the same time

for ten seconds.

it might work, remember to count to ten, you should then see it power off then restart.

let me know if it works, if not, i have some more things to try :ugeek: :ugeek:

atb, mike

paulham

Post by paulham » 22 Apr 2013, 07:55

some bloke wrote:Bugger dammit and blast, I wish I hadn't put the link up for it now. :(
Its your fault!! lol

Rolaids

Post by Rolaids » 02 May 2013, 04:25

So Lenny - Mine just showed today http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/228391887.html

Seems like similar or same (never can tell) the Version is B502.13.04.02.01

Issues are the same - it can't handle B/W mode - in wireless or in AV/in. If you set on color you are ok. Everything you described is spot on to my problems too. It will freeze up after a couple of minutes just displaying B/W and with a lot of fiddling I found you have to reset with tiny button and then turn on by holding both double rocker switches down at same time. After reset then it turns off and on.

Have you had any response? I will be starting a dispute as I just received and hope they answer promptly.

.....A couple links of interest:

1. English user manual that is close - http://www.foxoffer.com/download/DVR500 ... manual.zip
2. Whoever these guys are they have a firmware update but not ready to brick it yet trying :shifty: http://www.foxoffer.com/blog/2013/04/03 ... -firmware/

Roland

lenny.sch

Post by lenny.sch » 02 May 2013, 08:06

Hi Roland.
One consolation is these units are very easy to upgrade the firmware on.
The Foxoffer firmware dated 13 MAR 2013 doesn't work either, the supplier I purchased mine from supplied me with yet another firmware update dated 16 APR 2013 ( B502.13.04.02.01 ) which doesn't work either.. no change at all !!

I provided them with the info and they are still looking into it, I am almost ready to chase them up again to see if there is any progress and if not I am almost ready to forget the whole thing and send it back for a refund but will lose postage both ways.

I am still not too sure if the recording Quality in colour was that good anyway, what is you opinion on it?

Regards: lenny.

Rolaids

Post by Rolaids » 02 May 2013, 21:11

In my limited playing last night I think it records better than the JXD990 in color mode. It is easy to take snapshots or video and remembers your resolution setting (I hate that about the JXD990). Also comparing to the JXD I like the resolution of the screen too.

Also was impressed with the ease of use for wireless. This allows more people to enjoy the hunt on a larger screen that watcher can manage recording.

The other point is that the brightness/contrast settings (although a little deep in the menu's) allow you to really control the recorded image. All I did was sample different settings but would guess that you will need to fine tune with each camera you use.

Now if they just solve that B/W issue I think this is by far the best bang for your buck, pound, euro, quid, ........ :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Roland

AirRifleSport

Post by AirRifleSport » 02 May 2013, 21:37

I hope that this problems get sorted soon for you guys! Then I would love to see some footage on YouTube of its quality.

I couldn't wait any longer so I ordered another Angel Eye DVR, which I find very easy to use and with decent IR illumination you do get a very reasonable picture, as shown on my last video.

This new DVR that you have should be quite nice if it can be sorted though... I like the wireless camera connection to it... But then I would need to replace the camera. Aaaaargh! :cry:
...the doctor said that I need to do gentle exercise... I said to him that I already did... trigger squeezing!

Rolaids

Post by Rolaids » 02 May 2013, 22:27

AirRifleSport wrote:... I like the wireless camera connection to it... But then I would need to replace the camera. Aaaaargh! :cry:
I have a couple of these on order and I'll let you know how they do http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/228391893.html ....so no need to replace camera. ;)

I have been using these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008Z9 ... UTF8&psc=1 and they are flacky - sometimes they work fine. Then others the cut out and you have to power cycle then they are ok. They also get pretty hot.