zeroing my scopeless, digi zoom and some shots at night.

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
genisis22

zeroing my scopeless, digi zoom and some shots at night.

Post by genisis22 » 08 Apr 2013, 14:17

Hi guys, I did these little videos to show how digi zoom on sony exview effeo ccds can turn a scope less rat rifle into a foxer with mags up to approx 15x, the houses behind are 60mtrs and the flats in the background are 250plus yds, also zeroing the scope using external turrets and not the privacy lines,and also a short vid on shots in the dark at 15 yds with ir light, this one infact ebay 160944927833, very easy to convert to oslom black, somehow the wrong driver was sent and it has strobe and on/of, but it has a memory so if on for more than 10 secs it reverts to of set, so no biggy, as with all these recordings, what you see is slightly down on my view

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjjTf6iQthg
and night shots, target is 2 inch shootnc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFv_qX5mZxM
Last edited by genisis22 on 08 Apr 2013, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

PESCA

Re: zeroing my scopeless, digi zoom and some shots at night.

Post by PESCA » 08 Apr 2013, 14:23

Can't believe how much thought and hard work you've put into that :thumbup:

Looking like a really good system.

George

Gren

Post by Gren » 08 Apr 2013, 14:43

Great, I thought from the Rolaids videos that the Watec was probably a lesser device than the Effio kit and your vids prove it, for me anyway.

How did you manage to get the white dot and black "T" shape ret with the privacy/motion areas, that looks great.

Shame to see that the cross hairs behave as if they are in the first focal plane and grow with the magnification, rather than stay constant WRT the target - still we can't have everything.

Good work, I'll be starting my copy-cat build soon ;-)

genisis22

Post by genisis22 » 08 Apr 2013, 15:11

hi , thanks george, have questioned my own sanity a couple of times, but as they say faint heart fair lady etc, hi gren, not sure if I understand you correctly the cam I use is sony effeo e 960 with 700tvl. not a cheap one but not as expensive as the watecs have become, as for the reticle I use 4 of the 15 privacy lines available centralise your first privacy square, then reduce its size untill its 1/2 pixel big then save, then use the other three to draw in the broken T shape, save, as for colour you can choose from I think from memory 9 different colours for each privacy zone, this thing will focus down to 300 mm thats a big target at 170 mag on the x grid, if you do build one dont be shy if you need any info happy to help

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 08 Apr 2013, 16:42

My way of thinking....

For scopeless rigs - that cam has none of the useless (for us) issues with parts of the ccd messing with the overall shutter speed control like the Watec 902H that I'm beginning to feel is not suited to our ground plane purposes.

bighit1985

Post by bighit1985 » 08 Apr 2013, 21:41

Im new to this nightvision, homebuild rigs stuff. but whats the advantage of having a scopeless rig???
it might be obvious to those that have been doing this for a while but i dont understand??
ive also seen the crosshair generators, how do you actually wire them in??
sorry if ths is all basic stuff.

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 08 Apr 2013, 22:02

I like it when a plan comes together, nice job.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 08 Apr 2013, 23:19

bighit1985 wrote:Im new to this nightvision, homebuild rigs stuff. but whats the advantage of having a scopeless rig???
it might be obvious to those that have been doing this for a while but i dont understand??
ive also seen the crosshair generators, how do you actually wire them in??
sorry if ths is all basic stuff.
CCTV camera's were designed to monitor an area... rather than get plonked on the back end of a rifle scope which views the area through a series of extra lenses that ultimately send a magnified image through a tiny exit pupil to the CCD sensor of the camera.

The extra lenses have lens coatings that are optimised to pass day-time wavelengths rather than night-time wavelengths. This also accounts for daytime focusing at different lengths than night time ones.

bighit1985

Post by bighit1985 » 08 Apr 2013, 23:24

so by making a scopeless setup you lose the extra lenses and am i right in thinking then that a scopeless rig is the same in day or night??? focus wise

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 08 Apr 2013, 23:59

There is still a difference - which is why there are IR lenses available.

Point to consider is can you tie up a rifle to become a dedicated night vision rig?

If the answer is yes then do it. In my opinion, having been the person who first dipped his toe into the DIY scopeless pool, OS equipped Sony effio 1/3" format cameras and lenses are looking far superior to the Watec which was designed to look into the night sky rather than the ground at night. :thumbup: