scopeless nv mk 1 and 2

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
genisis22

scopeless nv mk 1 and 2

Post by genisis22 » 05 Apr 2013, 12:11

Hi guys, I built the mk 1 scopeless and was very pleased with its performance pic to follow in a minute, it had a problem in so much as set zero via privacy lines at home get to farm on zero 1/2 hour latter it was out re zero all good for rest of day get home check zero next day out again and so it went on, every effort to correct and maintain zero was lost depending on where I was, easy enough to reset but a pain none the less, during this time I saw a scope on amazon really cheap surly no good for £30.00 ish inc post, 3X9X56 non AO ILLUMINATED, , I was right, now I have two scopes that wont hold zero, had an all our yesterdays chat with a window fitter that I used to work with and recounted how a woodgrain pvc conservitory we built had grown by 15mm when left in sun for an hour before fitting to the point we had to put components in the shade untill cool,penny just dropped did you hear it, at home in the comfort of c/heating zero up stable temp all good on the farm up to - 3/5 deg plastic box contracted zero lost and vise versa,
as you see all plastic project box for the scope, re think required,
so after some thinking and measuring, to the shed and out with hacksawImage strip out lens carrier cut of rear end, de burr
B&Q next
an alli finger plate a pair of wardrobe hanging rail ends , that happen to be 25.4 mm id with hole right through and 3 fixing holes, and an 50mm id grey down pipe union, about £7.00 the lot
Using the lens carrier as template draw around onto fingerplate and cut out file to fit inside of scope bell against the reducing neck of bell, drill large enough hole that cs board mount will pass through as a snug fit, then drill 4 holes for fixing corners of board to large washers you just made m2.5 bolts and tree nuts per bolts first as packers to keep board electrics from alli plate
Feed wire and osd through tube and orientate camera and pinch in place useing lens carrier
fit the cs/c adapter the the c/m42 adapter and see where it all finishes up donnt over tighten any thing, dismantle it all and cut the right lenth from you down pipe union and resin onto c/m42 adapter, it is this that the turret push against, drill and tap for turrets mine was m10 at 12/9 if right shouldered I am a lefty so I went 12/3at 80 drill and tap for a spring plunger mine was 3/14 newtons, this is what the turrets push against,
Image pop it all back together and you are done this end, the back end is how you see fit you could use a slim box and fit screen or dvr just make a cut out to allow wires in and fit hanging rail end push onto tube and tighten pinch bolt that comes with end
Image, bit of matt black to tidy up and sorted, how do the turrets work trust me on this, as there is so much slop in the three adapters there is ample to give a lot of adjustment,
You can orientate the scope in the scope mounts at the front and the box at the rear so no excuse for gimpy cross hairs in viewer

link to adapter, you can see howshape lends itself to job
http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/148.html
Last edited by genisis22 on 05 Apr 2013, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.

genisis22

Re: scopeless nv mk 1 and 2

Post by genisis22 » 05 Apr 2013, 12:23

:oops: hi still cant see edit button, , I used the rest of finger plate to make a much slimmer lid , using the old one as template for size and drillings

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 05 Apr 2013, 13:09

boing an idia popped in...

can you fit a couple batteries into a scope..i suspect the whole thing to a manufacturer would actualy look like a narmal day scope... ring japan! lol.
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 05 Apr 2013, 13:18

genisis22 wrote::oops: hi still cant see edit button, , I used the rest of finger plate to make a much slimmer lid , using the old one as template for size and drillings
Top right of each post, next to 'quote'.

Some very clever work going on there, by the way. You're certainly going for it.

George

genisis22

Post by genisis22 » 05 Apr 2013, 14:24

hi yes as said in post , could easilly run on 3x 18650 batts, trouble is,once HK had trimmed every thing down and sorted electonics to pcbs etc then stiched you up and sold to every one the would end up at silly money, this idea is that any one with basic hand tools can make a presentable nvrs digi that with the right light can see all you would want at no seriouse money infact all in, no more than a half tidy scope, to echo some bloke and others you really have to look through a scopeless with a good lens and viewer/screen to see the bad effect a day scope has on your image, I have some vid I took of zeroing at 15 yds and I can see nats in flight in the scopeview never mind rabbits, trouble is cant get dvr to upload

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 05 Apr 2013, 16:06

Some good bits there - just goes to show, those from locations with agricultural sounding accents aint all thicko's. :thumbup:

Just a quick query - why use a mains tester when it's only a 12v rig? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your totally correct about those who aint tried it not knowing what they are missing - but to be fair there is a time and place for both add-on - and no scope. At the moment scopeless seems restricted to what we could relate to about 5~6 mag in scope terms. Whats the next primary lens size up from 75mm?

snoopy

Post by snoopy » 05 Apr 2013, 17:18

some bloke wrote:Some good bits there - just goes to show, those from locations with agricultural sounding accents aint all thicko's. :thumbup:

Just a quick query - why use a mains tester when it's only a 12v rig? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Your totally correct about those who aint tried it not knowing what they are missing - but to be fair there is a time and place for both add-on - and no scope. At the moment scopeless seems restricted to what we could relate to about 5~6 mag in scope terms. Whats the next primary lens size up from 75mm?

digital zoom?
'who is that masked man? its the kemosabby der..the bloody injun tells you every week!'

genisis22

Post by genisis22 » 05 Apr 2013, 17:38

hi dave yes mate been said I sound like a farmer, as to thick, your 12v mains rig joke went over my head im afraid as to prime lenses and sizes etc I allways bother terry 1001, hes the kiddy for cam lenses, now digi zoom :shh: the exveiw effio e cams have a very nice digital zoom facility they run from o/ 255 x, mine is on 61 for 7x ish if I can get dvr to upload I will film digi working and see what you all think it does not degrade the image as some say it would, maybe its the 700tvl or the lens quality I dont know, but its a cracker, I think I could go to 15x with it and still be viable.

faisal

Post by faisal » 05 Apr 2013, 20:05

Brilliant work mate

Cheers
Faisal

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 05 Apr 2013, 20:28

The most common and most sensibly priced lenses are 50/55 f1.8 and 135 f2.8. Sometimes you can find slightly faster lenses but the price tends to shoot up. There are some mid range zoom lenses but they tend to be f3.5 and slower although faster versions do turn up but usually at much higher prices. Another option is the teleconverter, 2x versions are widely available and usually can be found quite cheaply, these fit between the lens and camera and they are optically quite good but they do cut down the amount of light getting through by 2 stops. So far I have not had a chance to check if the zero would be affected by adding a teleconverter, I think it's a 50/50 chance, as to whether a zoom lens would retain zero as you change focal length I think that's probably not such good odds but as the lenses are much better quality than normally used in add on projects it might work.
The 1/2" format sensors will have a lower effective magnification than the 1/3" type. I will try 50, 100 and 135 on both types of sensor to see what approx magnification they give when I get some time to spend on it.