Plowboy vision!

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Plowboy

Plowboy vision!

Post by Plowboy » 29 Dec 2012, 12:53

Well I thought stuff the family and got it all together tonight..... Hehehe great stuff! Not entirely convinced on the screen so far but I can't say much until I get more illumination. I just have the 5w drop in and can see it working until about 30-50m( bit hard to tell because of the full moon and clear sky. But the picture is quite grainy for really dark stuff. Buts at closer ranges the illumination works quite well. Reckon my next experiment will be hooking it back up to the TV I had and seeing if that makes any difference. One weird thing is that I got a big white blob on about medium scope zoom a few times with and without illumination. Not really sure what was happening there but only thing I could think of was moonlight getting into the scope and causing it. Anyway quite happy so far but need more illumination to really have some fun!

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: Plowboy vision!

Post by some bloke » 29 Dec 2012, 13:11

Good stuff kiddo.

I'm tempted to think that white blob will be the best part of what the CCD sees at a certain setting, and possibly as a result of the lens iris not allowing an even spread of light across the entire CCD. I'm a bit out of my knowledge depth here and being slightly dyslexic know what I mean but can't put it into words. Are you using a 1/3" or 1/2" format lens?

That Chassers chap will no doubt be along shortly to put it in an articulate manner. Otherwise a bit of experimenting to get the camera to match the best exit pupil position: Try moving the camera lens a tad closer or further away from the scope lens.

Shedder

Post by Shedder » 29 Dec 2012, 13:34

Hi Plowboy, Did you turn the AGC switch in the the back of the Watec to the low setting? That should help if you didn't. (Thanks to Chas it transformed the image on mine)
Cheers
Steve

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy » 29 Dec 2012, 20:29

Shedder wrote:Hi Plowboy, Did you turn the AGC switch in the the back of the Watec to the low setting? That should help if you didn't. (Thanks to Chas it transformed the image on mine)
Cheers
Steve
Erm ACG? If that's the shutter switch well yes tried it on and off but no real difference

Shedder

Post by Shedder » 29 Dec 2012, 20:59

It is an internal switch, not the external shutter switch - see Chas's post on this thread
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1433

You need a very fine phillips screwdriver, then undo the four little screws on the back of the Watec, take off the back cover, change the position of the internal switch and then put it back together again - do it somewhere "safe" to catch any dropped screws because they would soon get lost down the back of the sofa!

Marky610

Post by Marky610 » 29 Dec 2012, 21:56

The internal switch should be in the down position (AGC off) for the best picture ;)

:geek:
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy » 29 Dec 2012, 22:19

Ok thanks! Will try again tonight

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy » 30 Dec 2012, 13:41

Well tried the AGC off and there was no difference..... Should I be looking for another screen or is my camera a bad one? I took it out tonight and could not really see anything much. Even shot a fox with my normal spotlight (actually the first of 8 I got!) and from 25m could not pickup the eye shine of it. Even though with the normal spotlight I could see it fine. Ended up giving up on it and just going "conventional"

This is the screen I got

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271047316443 ... 1652wt_922
And the watec was from the guy in Israel.

Could it be cables are not good enough? My picture is quite snowy unless I have got enough light to easily see with the naked eye( IR is working but not enough light and it seems a very tight beam.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 30 Dec 2012, 13:51

Plowboy wrote:Well tried the AGC off and there was no difference..... Should I be looking for another screen or is my camera a bad one? I took it out tonight and could not really see anything much. Even shot a fox with my normal spotlight (actually the first of 8 I got!) and from 25m could not pickup the eye shine of it. Even though with the normal spotlight I could see it fine. Ended up giving up on it and just going "conventional"
Some things ot consider mate:

Are you using a quality dayscope? Cheaper ones generally work better with Nv because the have fewer lens coatings that would improve daylight wave length performance - at the expense of dark wavelength performance.
Is the torch correctly directed?
Does it have an aspheric lens fitted - and focussed?
What lens do you have and did you try moving it in or out a tad?
I have to say that my efforts with the cheap IR modules were not much further than that for my add-on rig - but I don't use any of the known cheap scopes. It's what lead me to dump the dayscope altogether - and I'm very glad I did. 8-)

cypri

Post by cypri » 30 Dec 2012, 14:22

some bloke wrote:
Plowboy wrote:Well tried the AGC off and there was no difference..... Should I be looking for another screen or is my camera a bad one? I took it out tonight and could not really see anything much. Even shot a fox with my normal spotlight (actually the first of 8 I got!) and from 25m could not pickup the eye shine of it. Even though with the normal spotlight I could see it fine. Ended up giving up on it and just going "conventional"
Some things ot consider mate:

Are you using a quality dayscope? Cheaper ones generally work better with Nv because the have fewer lens coatings that would improve daylight wave length performance - at the expense of dark wavelength performance.
Is the torch correctly directed?
Does it have an aspheric lens fitted - and focussed?
What lens do you have and did you try moving it in or out a tad?
I have to say that my efforts with the cheap IR modules were not much further than that for my add-on rig - but I don't use any of the known cheap scopes. It's what lead me to dump the dayscope altogether - and I'm very glad I did. 8-)
When do you sleep Dave :?: Postings at 2 & 3 o'clock in the morning, now this one and out tonight with nv demo/line-up :crazy: :mrgreen:
Hope you have a good meet...be looking for the posting :)