Varifocal s-mount lenses

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
pickle
Stihl pickled

Varifocal s-mount lenses

Post by pickle » 09 Mar 2016, 12:24

Still nothing definitive to find on the forum about alternative varifocal s-mount lenses for E700 cameras. Someone amongst you must have tried various varifocals to ascertain their efficacy for NV with reference to the standard fare of the fixed 16mm. Would they might give a better image at night by virtue of their adjust-ability and yes I know that getting 'at them' to adjust might prove problematic, however I wish to know if any user has indeed improved upon the standard 16mm. Other 16mm lens out there in the wild have their values clearly marked (mine does not) and the diameters are variously greater. Can you please advise and can you shout as am a bit deaf. Oh and I forgot to add is an KPC-E700PUL- TFT camera the same as a E700PUB-16B-S. pickle.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Varifocal s-mount lenses

Post by phoenix » 09 Mar 2016, 13:24

I have one of these in 9-22mm and it's not bad http://www.stockoptics.com/board-lenses ... nt-ir.html
Still not as good as a low f number fixed focal length though
The 16mm f1.4 in this link would give a brighter image http://www.stockoptics.com/board-lenses ... mount.html

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Hardtail

Post by Hardtail » 11 Mar 2016, 17:48

tried 3 varifocals on the e700 never get it to focus correct so stuck with a cosmicar 50 mm and a 25mm lense for ratting

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 12 Mar 2016, 20:39

I guess I should be asking how many chaps use the SURE24 standard 16mm fare lens, unmarked as it is, and are happy with the results, I am, I am, fer crying out loud. I would like to know what other observations have been made by chaps using OTHER LENSES. Thank you phoenix for your feed back. I always do this with any hobby thing - ding the rear out of objective replies and try and make EMPIRICAL sense of the feed back. There is not much to go on so far. I also wondered about auto focus lenses, they look very trick but are they relevant - I don't know. The chap at Stock Optics is unavailable for a landline chat which doesn't really help. It would be good to have his feedback. I would like to experiment with mix and match and to this end a lens library would help. Interestingly the E700 body is tapered in both forward planes and so will only ever have a precision seat against a flat inner mount recess which the sure24 MTC adapter does. Have just bought some Floplast endcaps for comparison. The camera really needs to be pushed forward to locate against a flat 9o degree plane to be kept in situ. Have at you sirs and Mr's. By the way what is the official 'F' no of my 16mm lens.
Last edited by pickle on 12 Mar 2016, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 12 Mar 2016, 20:44

Hardtail, many thanks for your feedback, all words are wisdom, just don't tell the partner in your life.