Mounting Options for E700 Camera Add On Build

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Bullseyeft

Mounting Options for E700 Camera Add On Build

Post by Bullseyeft » 17 Feb 2016, 16:55

Hey Guys, I know there are various options for mounting the E700 to a scope. My question is, what are the best, easiest and cheapest ways to do this ?
Please provide some pictures of the various attachment methods you guys are using. I am starting my second project and not using a bullet camera on this one in order to make it a little more compact. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim

Ateallthepies

Re: Mounting Options for E700 Camera Add On Build

Post by Ateallthepies » 17 Feb 2016, 18:12

I'm using a 32mm flo-plast end fitting and coupler to fit to my MTC Viper. If you cut a rebate internally to one end of the coupler the Vipers flip cover screw ring fits perfect and if glued in place allows the add on nv to just screw on.

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 17 Feb 2016, 18:37

I normally fit the E700 into a small project box with a bit of pipe on the front so it fit into a dsa , i also fit a 4 pole socket so i can connect the camera to another socket in the monitor pod with a curly cable

http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o66 ... 161328.jpg

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 18 Feb 2016, 14:06

you can "shim" a slightly larger pipe/fitting... or you can ream/lathe/sand a pipe or fitting slightly smaller... finding or adjusting a pipe/fitting to fit over the scope eyepiece very tightly too...

fitting the thing over the eyepiece can also easily be accomplished by cutting "slits" with a hacksaw, slipping it over the eyepiece, and tightening down securely with a hose clamp.

some silicone hose approaches work too...

my initial experiments? were with a cheapie box cam... i fixed a "BRUT" deodorant tube to the eyepiece? then held the box cam up until it was perfectly centered on the screen... then taped it there to stay... went over it later with a later of epoxy.

=========================================================

really?

you can do it cheaply and probably an infinitely variety of ways... all a matter of ingenuity, and a few hours of work.

=====================================================

mind you? all these were always done with a SCREEN instead of a near eye display, i like cheaper and easier, and its a fun hobby to try different strategies. i always liked my screen "folding out" the left side of the scope, seemed the most "natural" ergonomic place to have a screen. I never understood the "fascination" with obsessing over getting the screen right behind the scope. on top of the gun seems more un-natural to me... its a personal preference, i guess.

thats the beauty of the add-on concept, i guess... you get the CAM mounted solid and centered up? and "any" viewing device your heart desires or your wallet can handle, or, you have the patience to mount up.

the add on is so "straight forward" of a concept, and highly adaptable.

============================================================

to me? the overall idea of the "add on" is a lot like adding a pair of "driving lights" to a CAR... its a basic idea, your putting 2 lights on the front or side of the car SOMEwhere... and you need SOME kind of switch inside the car to use them...

exactly HOW you mount the lights, and where, and what brackets and what switch and where you mount tje switch? is up to you.
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

Bullseyeft

Post by Bullseyeft » 18 Feb 2016, 20:24

Yeah, I get the whole concept and all. I was wondering what most on here use and will configure it to my own liking. Just sort of a brainstorming thing to see what others have done and how it has worked for them. I have about 6 different options in mind at the moment and trying to narrow those down based on easiest, best and cheapest. Not saying I will go cheapest but someone may have a brilliant idea and cheap to boot. There are a lot of very intelligent people on here and I am trying to pick their brains on this. Some of the builds I have seen here are amazing. I am not an electronic engineer but I am very mechanically inclined as are the members here. Just an idea brainstorming session to help others and maybe myself. Thanks to all for your help and keep it coming. Jim

Ateallthepies

Post by Ateallthepies » 18 Feb 2016, 21:25

I'm still waiting on lots of bits in the post before I can get my add on rig together. It won't be anything new for the most part, just ideas from people before me with maybe something new to add to the mix?

terry1001

Post by terry1001 » 18 Feb 2016, 22:20

You might have to find alternative products in the USA and the easiest/cheapest method does depend on your scope. In the UK the simple way uses 40mm solvent weld sink waste pipe fittings. The E700 is a good, tight fit into an end cap like this http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-solv ... 65881which fits into one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-solv ... of-5/76761 which is a push fit over many scopes or can be adapted.
Some scopes, eg MTC, have a large knurled ring for the eyepiece which makes it awkward for a push on fitting but they have a 38mm photographic filter thread so you can use a camera adapter which can be fitted to the upvc tube with epoxy etc.
Next step would be one of Dave's E700 adapters which will cost more but offer a custom fitting, best to ask him about the options on those.

Bullseyeft

Post by Bullseyeft » 18 Feb 2016, 22:28

Ateallthepies wrote:I'm still waiting on lots of bits in the post before I can get my add on rig together. It won't be anything new for the most part, just ideas from people before me with maybe something new to add to the mix?
Exactly why I started this. We all have different ideas so why not have a central place for them so others can check out the options available so they can make an informed decision about their build instead of trying this and that and wasting time and money and getting discouraged. I am in the US and there is next to nothing about DIY NV. I have already sent a dozen or so people to this site because of the helpful members here and all of the information.

Ateallthepies

Post by Ateallthepies » 19 Feb 2016, 09:45

I believe there is a chap called Roland 'Rolaids bench' on YouTube that has built everything in DIY night vision which is from readily available products in the USA ? He's a member here too!

I remember trying to make an add on scope around 6 years ago by using huge plumbing fittings to hold a Yukon Excelon behind my scope, never did get much interest in that project on another UK airgun site :lol:

I'm afraid I'm one of those people that often leave a trail of broken parts in my wake when trying out new products! I get frustrated with technical details and take a more hands on approach until it either works or I have yet another bit for the broken box!!

Case in hand is a load of 850 and 940nm ir LEDs in various styles that I have been playing with with many fallen units littering the floor like burnt out Yellow Jackets round a zapper!!

Frogman Ladue

Post by Frogman Ladue » 19 Feb 2016, 18:14

Bullseyeft wrote:Hey Guys, I know there are various options for mounting the E700 to a scope. My question is, what are the best, easiest and cheapest ways to do this ?
Please provide some pictures of the various attachment methods you guys are using. I am starting my second project and not using a bullet camera on this one in order to make it a little more compact. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jim
After lots of experimentation with plumbing fittings, I went with a Pulsar DSA and NiteTek E700 housing package from SURE24. It came out to around $80 shipped to the US. It looks very clean, professional, and it's universal fit. I'm starting to find, just go with the benchmark items these guys suggest. It'll save you money and a lot of hassle.
Evolving work in progress, E700+DSA (Build Finished Feb2016)..Link

Last update to US spec'ed E700+DSA T-20,T67 Build. (US Parts List!)...Link