Camera recomendations.

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
philcbr

Camera recomendations.

Post by philcbr » 24 Nov 2012, 11:17

Hi chaps,
I'm new to this forum and have been impressed by the innovation I have seen here. :thumbup:
I would like to have a go at constructing my own add on night vision for my scope but cannot afford a Watec.
Can you guys recommend a B+W camera that would give adequate performance for my project? I know the Watec would be the best but can I make up less camera performance with a more powerful IR source?
Some years ago I purchased a GB sights NV add on but found it difficult to shoot comfortably due to its length behind the scope.
I notice all the DIY kit I have seen on here has a large gap between the camera lens and the rear of the scope is it possible to reduce this gap?
What about turning the camera 180 Degrees by using mirrors/prisms to mount the camera along side the scope, if this is possible it would reduce the overall length of the camera setup.
I look foreword to any advice you can give me.

Phil.

Marky610

Re: Camera recomendations.

Post by Marky610 » 24 Nov 2012, 12:02

What are you wanting to shoot and using what? Has a huge bearing on what we suggest.

A prism is possible but them you have height instead of length, seen the photo's of clive wards add on and wondered why it is so high? ;)

You can mount the camera closer but you get a slight tunnel vision type effect, look at my 'MarkyVision mk2' video, I did exactly that

:geek:
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 24 Nov 2012, 13:23

If you buy something less than the watec then the chances are you will buy one after spending out on a cheaper less effective one if you are contemplating more than ratting at sub air rifle ranges. Many of us have done that and now have a spare unloved camera(s) in the back of a drawer. Yes you can chuck a lot more IR at it than if you had bought the watec, but that is plan B rather than plan A.

The camera lens being beyond the scope eyepiece is not a problem if you use a reversing monitor on top of the scope at your normal reading distance. It's a very easy to adopt shooting position.

philcbr

Post by philcbr » 24 Nov 2012, 14:44

Thank you for your replies gents.
I intended to use the camera on my .22 rimmy and hopefully my 17 HMR also.
Is there no option but to use the Watec for this application? if not what is the going rate for the Watec?
Thanks once again
Phil

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 24 Nov 2012, 16:48

philcbr wrote:Thank you for your replies gents.
I intended to use the camera on my .22 rimmy and hopefully my 17 HMR also.
Is there no option but to use the Watec for this application? if not what is the going rate for the Watec?
Thanks once again
Phil
Ah - the sort of range most of us want, as said earlier then, there are several cheeeeeeepie methods which ultimately equate to:
Plan B. 8-) TaraaataDaaaaaa.... crapcameraandshedloadsoflight. :D The spend might be similar though.

If you wait a bit longer someone is almost bound to tell come and tell you a cheaper camera can be used ok, which is true - but you then spend shedloads on IR. That then means more IR pointing into the quarry's eyes than needed if you had used a Watec. Before you spend out though, perhaps you might get together with another NV shooter and stand say 50 yards away from his IR torch/laser and see how easily you can see that "invisible" light if you look for it. That's what lamp-shy bunnies and foxes do, the brighter it is the easier it gets noticed but you can get away with it a few times if they are not shot at much. 8-)

Watec current prices are about £125 delivered via ebay/Isreal.

philcbr

Post by philcbr » 25 Nov 2012, 11:48

Looks like a Watec then.
So who has bought one from Israel? did they encounter any problems? I notice looking at the Ad on ebay it comes "Guaranteed to work, Sold with 14 days Warranty" not very long warrenty or have I read it wrong.
Cheers guys
Phil.

Marky610

Post by Marky610 » 25 Nov 2012, 12:55

philcbr wrote:Looks like a Watec then.
So who has bought one from Israel? did they encounter any problems? I notice looking at the Ad on ebay it comes "Guaranteed to work, Sold with 14 days Warranty" not very long warrenty or have I read it wrong.
Cheers guys
Phil.
I've bought a few from him, no probs at all ;)

:geek:
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?

abersmith

Post by abersmith » 25 Nov 2012, 13:01

I also got one from him and its working fine

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 25 Nov 2012, 19:43

philcbr wrote:Looks like a Watec then.
Cheers guys
Phil.
I've bough 10 from this guy and no problems with any of them

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 25 Nov 2012, 20:28

some bloke wrote:
[Watec current prices are about £125 delivered via ebay/Isreal.

Good grief, Is that what they are now ? :o
They've more than doubled in price since I bought them last :roll:
Supply and demand I suppose.
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.