DIY Night Vision - Rolaids NV1.0

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Rolaids

DIY Night Vision - Rolaids NV1.0

Post by Rolaids » 21 Nov 2012, 22:00

So here is my first DIY night vision build. Easily seeing to 150 yards with an 850nm Streamlight (pics show my Pulsar 940nm) and that’s thru a cheap Leapers scope. With some tweaks soon on IR - range should be further. All for under $350 for what I call Rolaids NV1.0 :D

I appreciate all who inspired me to get to here and I plan to continue with deeper research into IR illumination and cameras. Naturally many have built similar projects so my intent has been to make it simple to duplicate with ‘off the shelf’ parts for all those who didn’t want the cost and time of research. This version will definitely be more than enough for the air gun community for rat and pest hunting!

Here is a link to my demo and and detailed ‘How to build’ video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wnNFR9 ... ure=vmdshb
More videos will follow that detail what I have learned on 1/3” Sony CCD cameras and OSD adjustments and also testing multiple IR illuminators for more ‘off the shelf’ solutions.

Here is a link to my Excel Spreadsheet that has parts lists and cost
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3835764/Rolaid ... 0List.xlsx

And a few quick picks – This setup makes it very easy for the camera to be centered and in position. It can all be removed with one bolt.

Side mount

Weaver Rail setup for side mount

Easy to install mini bullet cam solution – very water resistant!

Rolaids NV1.1 - DVR version with a cool little mount called an iTrek!!

Can also easily move to a top mount or even an angle if preferred

mgladwin

Re: DIY Night Vision - Rolaids NV1.0

Post by mgladwin » 21 Nov 2012, 22:19

Very nice mate. Watching your vids now.

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 21 Nov 2012, 22:33

An excellent very informative thread and video, keep it up. :thumbup:
The tool driving this vehicle is removed at night. Sometimes.

PESCA

Post by PESCA » 21 Nov 2012, 22:49

A very neat setup there, Roland. Some nice tricky little gadgets that you've sourced there too.

Super, step by step video :thumbup:

George

Marky610

Post by Marky610 » 21 Nov 2012, 22:50

Loving the DSA, pure genius

Quick tip, go into your screen menu and change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3, you'll get a round picture ;)
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?

Silent Shooter
FOUNDER

Post by Silent Shooter » 21 Nov 2012, 23:11

Very nice indeed mate,you really have thought that through and i love your vids and a great photo guide.

thanks mate
Geoff

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 21 Nov 2012, 23:15

I've used the upside down scope clamps and long picatinney rail for all the NV units I've built - credit to kenhawker on the airgun site who gave me the idea.
This set up looks really good and there are some neat touches,particularly the very long rail and the spacers between the camera holder and the scope clamps so that the the rail doesn't fould the the scope turrets.
One improvement I might suggest - get rid of the bullet camera and get a watec 902H fitted with a 1/3", CS 25mm lens. You'll find the lens is a perfect fit in the scope clamp and still allow you to adjust it to focus on the reticle. Also get a piece of rubber or plastic tube to fill the gap between the lens and the scope to keep out stray light

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce NV 9.jpg
Bruce NV 9.jpg (57.37 KiB) Viewed 1452 times
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

Rolaids

Post by Rolaids » 22 Nov 2012, 00:53

Marky610 wrote:Loving the DSA, pure genius

Quick tip, go into your screen menu and change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3, you'll get a round picture ;)
Thanks!!....definite brain fart there :crazy:

phoenix wrote:I've used the upside down scope clamps and long picatinney rail for all the NV units I've built - credit to kenhawker on the airgun site who gave me the idea.
This set up looks really good and there are some neat touches,particularly the very long rail and the spacers between the camera holder and the scope clamps so that the the rail doesn't fould the the scope turrets.
One improvement I might suggest - get rid of the bullet camera and get a watec 902H fitted with a 1/3", CS 25mm lens. You'll find the lens is a perfect fit in the scope clamp and still allow you to adjust it to focus on the reticle. Also get a piece of rubber or plastic tube to fill the gap between the lens and the scope to keep out stray light

Cheers

Bruce
Bruce NV 9.jpg
Thanks Bruce! My next plans after I finish a couple more videos is to try that Watec camera out!! I didn't realize that the lens would fit a scope ring - that's splendid!! Been watching all you guys and can't wait to try. I wanted to detail the lowest cost build first, that works well, for those who wanted to go that route.

Marky610

Post by Marky610 » 22 Nov 2012, 00:59

Yip, the 12 and 16mm lens were using are 30mm dia ;)

:geek:
Land Rovers, who would be daft enough to own one?

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 22 Nov 2012, 02:59

Very good rig and very good video there young man. Your very relaxed with the camera too which makes it a pleasure to watch the video, lots of peope will gain from this - very well done mate.