E700 housing for C mount lens

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
blueeyes

Re: E700 housing for C mount lens

Post by blueeyes » 18 Nov 2015, 19:19

I must say I have bought one of Jirkas E700 housings for a mini near eye spotter I am building and it is a work of art and a solid piece of kit right down to the dampening springs for the camera, I liked it so much I have ordered another for what yet I dont know lol its the old saying you get what you pay for :thumbup:

Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii » 18 Nov 2015, 20:18

sedstar wrote:I can certainly understand everyone wanting a super high quality, machined e700 case... heck, give me unlimited funds and i would commission the building of one my self.

I must say though, the COSTS of dealing with the e700 and its case to incorporate it into builds? has gotten quite high, to buy stuff to make the build easier.

i looked at sure24, at the "nite tek" e700 case, and the very popular DSA thing that it goes nicely with for a add on build? good LORD, its 80 USA dollars, before shipping, for the nite-tek e700 case. Looks like a wee little blob of plastic, it does. I will admit its a NICELY SHAPED piece of plastic, but REALLY 80 dollars for a little blob of plastic is outrageous.

its almost 50 dollars for the DSA device that it fits in nicely...I know they LOOK nice, and work well enough... but thats a lot of money just to hold the little camera centered at the scope.

I know the prevailing wisdom...

"ah, the plumbing builds are shite, cant be afraid to spend a few pounds..."

"your paying for quality, you know, you want to do it right..."

abd i realize these are valid arguments, but, really its a lot of money for a little bit of plastic in just the right shape.

if my plastic plumbing is very well aligned and fits securely? crosshairs centered nicely?i really dont feel like i am "slumming it" THAT bad...

======================================================================================

Based on the prices of the plastic bits? I just KNOW i cant afford a real machined case like these nice ones the guys have been machining up recently...

=====================================================================================

i have half a mind to spend a few weeks and try to come up with an affordable option for this expensive stuff, which is basically just an e700 replacment case, that facilitates the building of a spotter.

am i the only one here that wishes there was an AFFORDABLE option to slap a spotter together that worked well and was secure?

For a DSA I agree as I knock these together for less than £15

Screw straight on to MTC's and some Hawke scopes

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 18 Nov 2015, 23:06

Just a little bit of plastic - takes a lot of work to get it just so, and is near as dammit the same cost as an aluminium one.

Aluminium needs to be anodised, is reflective regardless of anodising, heavier than engineering plastic that doesn't need anodising, will never oxidise - and is much less reflective.

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 19 Nov 2015, 03:01

actually bloke? Plastic makes SENSE to me here. Light and strong and durable.
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii » 19 Nov 2015, 08:49

sedstar wrote:actually bloke? Plastic makes SENSE to me here. Light and strong and durable.

If I was able to machine stuff then it would to me also.. As it is I have to cobble together from bits commercially available.

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 19 Nov 2015, 16:13

I have a fitting I like to use, and most importantly an ALIGNMENT jig and procedure? that allows me great alignment for my addon with holding an e700 on the eyepiece and having the crosshairs centered. I could definitely cement it in and make it permanent. the e700 case-to-fitting i mean permanent, it is still removeable form the eyepiece.

a different fitting(s) work with different/various "mount lenses", EG, c/cs/m42/etc etc.... which is obviously for use as a spotter build.

I am working on putting these TWO things together, so that i can make a dedicated spotter unit, as well as the add-on i can already make with the e700 case. There doesnt yet seem to be a way around i need a small lathe to accomplish this.

When i have a small lathe, i am fairly confident i can accomplish this. I am leaning towards "more hand work time" and "less costs for materials". I could obviously just BUY stuff, but, that adds CONSIDERABLY to my cost i have to charge a friend to make one for them. 60 for THIS, 50 for THAT, another 20 or 30 for THAT... it adds up.

i just dont think i want to spend MORE on the replacement e700 case, adaptors, fittings, etc etc than i spend on the CAMERA itself. I am aiming (pun intended, lol) for "reasonable". As in, REASONABLE cost, REASONABLE looks, REASONABLE quality and "its okay to drop it"-ness.

I dont want to add 200 dollars to the cost of the unit, that i have to charge a friend to make it for them, as i am just in my viewpoint, over-charging THEM and sending a couple hundred dollars out in the mail because i would consider myself too lazy and too incompetent to fabricate it all myself.

not to mention? I dont plan to make a nice career out of it? but, i should make "some small profit" on each unit to compensate me for my time and labor... packing out 100, 200 dollars for other people to fabricate things raises the cost i have to charge friends to get them interested, and while i honestly dont mind anyone else making a profit off of making things for people? I have to make SOMEthing as well.

all i can come up with, in terms of a PLAN, is to insist on learning to fabricate something all by myself. I'm not greedy, but, i think i should make minimum wage doing this, if i can manage it. MOST people i know? wont get off their butt to go to ANY job if it doesnt pay them 15 or 20 dollars an hour... i have never been fortunate enough in the last several years to hold out like that... I always end up with a job, doing all the work, for almost no money? while the owner comes in, does little to no work, and takes ALL the money to pay for their nice house and car and entertainment.

I wont be "in your hair" to the guys selling commercially on HERE... i am the only guy LOCALLY for sixteen towns in any direction of this place, that does this... this will be all local only.
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...