E700 housing for C mount lens

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
Kevgun

E700 housing for C mount lens

Post by Kevgun » 17 Nov 2015, 22:47

Getting bored these dark evenings, so I have been tasked with building my Mate a spotter

Going by what Dave ( some bloke ) said about trying to let in as much light as possible

I have machined up this housing to take a E700 in the back and screw on a 50 mm f1.4 50mm lens. I also milled the E700 housing to let in as much light as possible, any here are the pictures.

The housing it self: http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn17 ... ngskm.jpeg

The milled down E700 housing:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn17 ... e0zhi.jpeg

I have built all this into a aluminium project box and fitted with a T38as torch integral battery and screen, my gamekeeper mate wanted it straight away, so I need to wrestle it back off him to take some photos of the finished item :thumbup:

Kevgun

And the housing with the Lens fitted:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn17 ... 1wfjd.jpeg

The E700 inside the housing:
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn17 ... lsecj.jpeg

sedstar

Re: E700 housing for C mount lens

Post by sedstar » 18 Nov 2015, 00:12

really cool...
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 18 Nov 2015, 01:29

Smart. :thumbup:

Jirka

Post by Jirka » 18 Nov 2015, 11:37

Very nice, although I still do not understand this „obsession“ with keeping the E700 in its original housing. The bare PCB can be mounted rather easily and with a housing as rigid as yours, the extra 1 mm or so of aluminum does not play any role in protecting the camera inside.

Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii » 18 Nov 2015, 12:33

Great work.

You up for taking on requests?

Kevgun

Post by Kevgun » 18 Nov 2015, 12:54

Jirka, your right of course i will revise the next one, my plan was to be able to shim between the housing and E700 the get the exact focal length which is 12.5mm is that correct?

Smudgerii, Maybe i just need to clear a back log other stuff first, what were you thinking?

Kevgun :thumbup:

Smudgerii

Post by Smudgerii » 18 Nov 2015, 14:20

Kevgun wrote:Jirka, your right of course i will revise the next one, my plan was to be able to shim between the housing and E700 the get the exact focal length which is 12.5mm is that correct?

Smudgerii, Maybe i just need to clear a back log other stuff first, what were you thinking?

Kevgun :thumbup:

Looking for a similar camera mount but would want it to mount to the bottom half of a scope ring.. I need to draw it up really..

Jirka

Post by Jirka » 18 Nov 2015, 14:31

Just thinking aloud: One think that the orignal case might be good for is if the front part could be mounted in some sort of ball or elastic mount (like hull machine guns on older tanks) and the rear part could then somehow be moved to adjust the windage and elevation. I have tried several adjustable E700 mounts and while they do work for basic adjustment (to get the POI approximately to the center of the screen), they do not really work for zeroing.

12,5 mm (for CS mount) or 17,5 mm (C mount) is the distance between the lens flange (i.e. not the rear optical element!) of a lens and the sensor's active area. For NV devices, there is usually no harm in making that distance slightly (1 or max 2 mm) shorter due to different behaviour of IR light and the fact hat you usually do not need to be able to focus to extremely short distances.

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 18 Nov 2015, 16:27

I can certainly understand everyone wanting a super high quality, machined e700 case... heck, give me unlimited funds and i would commission the building of one my self.

I must say though, the COSTS of dealing with the e700 and its case to incorporate it into builds? has gotten quite high, to buy stuff to make the build easier.

i looked at sure24, at the "nite tek" e700 case, and the very popular DSA thing that it goes nicely with for a add on build? good LORD, its 80 USA dollars, before shipping, for the nite-tek e700 case. Looks like a wee little blob of plastic, it does. I will admit its a NICELY SHAPED piece of plastic, but REALLY 80 dollars for a little blob of plastic is outrageous.

its almost 50 dollars for the DSA device that it fits in nicely...I know they LOOK nice, and work well enough... but thats a lot of money just to hold the little camera centered at the scope.

I know the prevailing wisdom...

"ah, the plumbing builds are shite, cant be afraid to spend a few pounds..."

"your paying for quality, you know, you want to do it right..."

abd i realize these are valid arguments, but, really its a lot of money for a little bit of plastic in just the right shape.

if my plastic plumbing is very well aligned and fits securely? crosshairs centered nicely?i really dont feel like i am "slumming it" THAT bad...

======================================================================================

Based on the prices of the plastic bits? I just KNOW i cant afford a real machined case like these nice ones the guys have been machining up recently...

=====================================================================================

i have half a mind to spend a few weeks and try to come up with an affordable option for this expensive stuff, which is basically just an e700 replacment case, that facilitates the building of a spotter.

am i the only one here that wishes there was an AFFORDABLE option to slap a spotter together that worked well and was secure?
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

Jirka

Post by Jirka » 18 Nov 2015, 18:50

sedstar wrote:abd i realize these are valid arguments, but, really its a lot of money for a little bit of plastic in just the right shape.

if my plastic plumbing is very well aligned and fits securely? crosshairs centered nicely?i really dont feel like i am "slumming it" THAT bad...
How portable are your plumbing parts? How long will the crosshair actually stay centered nicely? I use similar setups from time to time to verify ideas, but for real-life use, I prefer something of better build quality.

If you spend £60 for camera and £30-100 on a lens, not to mention your time, then a few quid for a good enclosure is not such a big deal. Of course the law of diminishing returns does apply here, but I think that the difference between a plumbing part setup and say SB's or my holders is big enough to justify the difference in price.

It is not just a piece of plastic. It is a piece of plastic and a lot of expertise and time. Paired with very small volumes...