MTC scope dsa alternative

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
ACSlater

MTC scope dsa alternative

Post by ACSlater » 04 Oct 2015, 20:12

Just put something together today. I know that the MTC scopes have a threaded ocular bell that allows a dsa to be connected. (See this thread: http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?t=5077 ). I've ordered the adapter step up rings but they're on the slow boat and I couldn't wait any longer. I've made my own dsa from what I've seen others do. I decided to post a how-to as it may help someone. The pictures are crap as my lens glass is broken.

50 mm pvc waiste pipe with a coupler and a 40 mm endcap. Cut off a ring from the pipe of 3 cm and make a cut in the lenght. Now fold it over the ocular bell. Now you see now much tape is needed to make it sit tight. Only for trying I used camo tape. I later replaced it with black insolation tape.

See how the 50 mm coupler fits. Test how far the camera needs to be for the best image and then cut the pipe to the right lenght.

The e700 fits tight into the 40 mm endcap, and the endcap fits tight into the 50 mm pipe. This is not the way I mounted the e700 in it. I drilled a 16 mm hole in the middle of the endcap which allows the lens to push through.

Some matte black paint:

With the 50 mm endcap on it. It isn't threaded and so it doesn't need to turn. The camera cable can go right through it:

Best feature is that is also fits my Hawke Sport. Just needs some more tape for a snug fit.

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Re: MTC scope dsa alternative

Post by some bloke » 04 Oct 2015, 20:28

Good effort for not much money - what did you use to enclose the rear end?

ACSlater

Post by ACSlater » 04 Oct 2015, 20:45

some bloke wrote:Good effort for not much money - what did you use to enclose the rear end?
A 50 mm end cap, all grey pvc just like the rest. Just pushed on to the pipe bit. Not glued like the rest so I can take the e700 out of it if I want to. And o yeah the cost of this all is about €8 and some paint, glue and tape. If money was no object I would buy one of your dsa's Some Bloke. But it always is and I like some diy.

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 13 Mar 2016, 16:45

Hi ACSlater I do not think your PVC coupler/adaptors are available in the UK. Pity because they look to be a better option than the FloPlast. I wondered what type of PCP Rifle was in your images, I do not recognise it, also the stock looks to be custom built. Very very nice.

ACSlater

Post by ACSlater » 13 Mar 2016, 18:06

You're probably right about the availability in the UK. They're made by Martens in The Netherlands. I think if you look at the plumbing department in a hardware store, you might find similar items by other manufacturers, as the pipe sizes are pretty standard. Funny thing is that I wanted to use Floplast but it isn't sold over here so I had to look for a alternative and I think it worked out better in the end than with Floplast. Those hideous silicone pipe dsa's some guys use... :mrgreen:
The rifle is a Kalibrgun Cricket Carbine which is very light and powerful (45 joule). The stock is standard and very nice!

pickle
Stihl pickled

Post by pickle » 15 Mar 2016, 22:21

Hi ACSlater, have tried my best to get decent British pvc solvent weld fittings last two days for diy E700 build but we just don't seem to do any quality kit over here. I have been to 5 different suppliers and none of them seem to know or care about quality or fit of the stuff they sell. The standard of plumbing in this country is dire and basically the fit of this kit is appalling imho. If your plumber carries a white stick, trust me, it isn't 40mm solvent weld pipe. There are no proper standards between UK manufacturers and their products are not interchangeable which means they can print any spec and claim what they like. I have a few old bits of 40mm plastic pipe and matching old solvent weld fittings etc that actually fit like a glove but this stuff is no longer available. I cannot cope with the vagaries of flop last and would ask you if it may be possible for you to make up some suitable kits of Marven plastic pipe and couplings, the same stuff you have used for your diy build to send over here and I would pay you for the price of bits, postage, packing and inconvenience. By the time I've finished running my arse off I will have spent 20 euros or more in expenses at least. Your build looks impressive and the precision fit seems to allow for easy adjustment. My scopes are MTC and yours looks to be the same but I could be wrong. As a 'by the way' I also spoke to two UK main dealers who sell the expensive Cobra Optics Merlin NV scope adaptor (as an alternative strategy) that Marky610 briefly shows on his YT video and asked them if the Merlin adaptor would fit MTC Viper scopes and neither of them knew the answer. These people are selling MTC scopes and NV kit to the likes of us and don't even know what fits what. What a parlous state of affairs. In deference to Marky the SURE MTC scope kit he has developed is second to none and what I term a precision fit. His diy builds are more than impressive and in my view are the English equivalent to Rolaids. I just wish I had the mans talent and modest understatement and his lathe and supply of delrin and tooling.
Last edited by pickle on 16 Mar 2016, 19:30, edited 2 times in total.

ACSlater

Post by ACSlater » 16 Mar 2016, 17:37

Too bad you didn't find the right parts. The postage alone would be around €10 but if you're willing to pay, I could send you the parts to build one. I have some laying around here I think. PM me for details and let me know the scopes dimensions. Should be roughly the same as mine.