Recording E700 with an Android phone

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
ACSlater

Recording E700 with an Android phone

Post by ACSlater » 29 Aug 2015, 12:58

edit: Yes, it works!! and it actually looks good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8RtDdh53ss There's some slight latency (about 120 milisec) but that didn't bother me and I didn't notice it before I did a latency test. Look for yourself : https://youtu.be/YQpeiW45koI

original post:

I've been looking for a simple solution to record video from my e700 cam and not use the Angel Eye. For the Angel Eye has a small low resolution screen. Finally I found something that MIGHT work. Haven't tested this yet but I just ordered an Easycap video to usb interface. Want to connect it to my Samsung Galaxy S3 or S5 and record my e700 scope cam. This way I can record in 1080p 30fps. :D

edit: don't go for the cheapest Easycap you can find (yes it is tempting) but spend a few penny's more on the one linked below. (still cheap) There are many Easycaps being sold that differ quite a lot on the inside and may not work with Easycap Viewer. This one does work:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Easycap-1-Chann ... 3f27c99320

It should work if your Android device can handle UVC protocol and can act as a usb host. You'll also need an usb-otg cable. Look for how it works to this vid, he gives an excellent explaination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgLFhU5Mbh4

It's wise to use a usb otg cable that allows you to connect a power source to the Easycap or it will drain your Android device's battery in no time. Like this one: edit: didn't find it necessary. Easycap doesn't take that much power. Any usb-otg will do in my experience

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICRO-USB-HOST- ... 1548821201
Last edited by ACSlater on 05 Nov 2015, 12:14, edited 7 times in total.

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Recording E700 with an Android phone

Post by phoenix » 29 Aug 2015, 21:42

That looks like an interesting solution - particularly the very small latency
However,although you might be recording in full HD (1920x1080), the E700 only has 975x582 pixels in the sensor, so you're not actually getting HD quality video.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

ACSlater

Post by ACSlater » 29 Aug 2015, 23:00

Yes I knew that Bruce but just wanted to point out that it can record in 1080p. As far as the latency is concerned, that might as well come from his wireless video transmitter. At least I hope it is.

demonfox1

Post by demonfox1 » 30 Aug 2015, 08:56

Hello,
I also saw his vids so last paycheck I bought easycap lead with the correct chipset, otg I had already but it doesn't work with my phone nor did a Web cam the otg did work with flash drive but not cam something to do with the kernel, I just ordered a cheap android phone with kitkat o's and a usb to rca lead to have another go at this ,will update soon once phone arrives
Demonfox

visiter1

Post by visiter1 » 30 Aug 2015, 10:46

i would be intrested in your results

visiter1

Post by visiter1 » 31 Aug 2015, 17:09

I did some resherch last night , and i found a 802 wifi avin app and sender that can send pic to your android or i phone and you just use the app to record then , ill do a review whe i get it

ACSlater

Post by ACSlater » 08 Sep 2015, 17:08

Received my Easycap device today and it's working perfect on my stock Samsung S5 Galaxy. Had to buy the Easycap viewer for €3,89 but that's a small price to be able to make recordings of my e700 on my phone. I will upload some test footage to YouTube when I find the time.

ACSlater

Post by ACSlater » 08 Sep 2015, 17:15

visiter1 wrote:I did some resherch last night , and i found a 802 wifi avin app and sender that can send pic to your android or i phone and you just use the app to record then , ill do a review whe i get it
The lag is probably too big for hunting. With the Easycap there is only a very small delay if any at all. Very HD looking resolution. This will make some nice setup if I can tidy up everything neatly on my rifle. I need to buy a holder for my smartphone that wil have to be fit to the scope.

SimonC_Here

Post by SimonC_Here » 09 Sep 2015, 13:18

ACSlater wrote:
visiter1 wrote:I did some resherch last night , and i found a 802 wifi avin app and sender that can send pic to your android or i phone and you just use the app to record then , ill do a review whe i get it
The lag is probably too big for hunting. With the Easycap there is only a very small delay if any at all. Very HD looking resolution. This will make some nice setup if I can tidy up everything neatly on my rifle. I need to buy a holder for my smartphone that wil have to be fit to the scope.
I used a cheap phone case and a bracket for holding reflectors to bike handlebars glued on to it.
I've got one of those easiercaps and USB OTG cables but only been able to try it on dslr for input as I don't have a e700 at the moment.

Be aware, not all the capture devices are the same. Some people on the face book group tried and it didn't work for them.

ACSlater

Post by ACSlater » 09 Sep 2015, 17:01

If you buy the cheapest Easycap from Ebay, it will probably not work. If you follow the link from the first post, you'll get one with the right utv007 chipset. It also works with my Samsung Galaxy S3. I did some recording yesterday but AZ Screen Recorder capped it in portrait mode, due to my own mistake. One of the best things about using a phone is the higher screen resolution and it doesn't cut the height of the camera image to fit to the screen. It also gives minimal glow when you dim the screen, unlike the blinding light from the 5 inch tft I used to use. Tonight I'll try to make a better vid even if it's from my small back yard, around 10 meters range.

AZ Screen Recorder is the best app for recording but it needs Android 5.0 and later versions so I'll have to run a custom rom on my S3 to make it work.