Focus on E700 camera

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
philschmidt

Focus on E700 camera

Post by philschmidt » 29 Jun 2015, 23:52

I am a first time night vision builder and would like a tip on how to get better near field focus. The camera is focused on farther objects rather than near field so the scope reticle is pretty blurred. Can I improve the depth of field with the OSD settings? Or should I try screwing the lens in or out? Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

reaper1064

Re: Focus on E700 camera

Post by reaper1064 » 30 Jun 2015, 06:18

Hi mate I unscrewed the grub screw and altered the camera lens

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 30 Jun 2015, 07:00

None of the camera OSD settings will change the focus or the depth of field.
The only way to do it is to adjust the camera lens until the reticle is in focus.
On the threaded barrel into which the lens is fitted, you'll find a very small screw which locks the lens in position.
Carefully loosen that screw and then screw the lens in and out of the barrel until the image of the reticle is sharp.
If the image of the reticle is sharp, but the image of the target is not sharp, then adjust the side/front focus on the scope.
If you scope doesn't have side/front focus, you may be OK at lower magnifications, but for higher magnifications to be usable, you will need a scope with focus adjustment.
Both front and side focus will work, but side focus is much easier to use when the gun is shouldered.
Also, make sure the side focus goes down to short ranges, e.g 10 yards, because the scope will focus at a much shorter distance with IR than with visible light

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 03 Jul 2015, 17:38

hmmmmm.....

my very FIRST build ?

i carefully adjusted the eyepiece of my scope to be perfectly focused crosshairs, before i started my add on build... it took me "some time" to realize that the IR camera and human eye with visible light... do NOT focus the same...

took me a while to realize i had to adjust the scope eyepiece for the CAMERA, not for my EYE...

Heck, even funnier story? i was shooting for YEARS, before anyone told me i even COULD screw the eyepiece on my scopes in and out to focus the crosshairs. I had thought that was for setting "eye relief", not for focusing the crosshairs... so, unless i am mis-thinking (addon build behind scope) then...

1) he might be like me and not realize the scope eyepiece can even focus the crosshairs
2) a new builder might not immediately realize they have to focus the crosshairs for the IR CAM and not their human eye
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

thegogg

Post by thegogg » 04 Jul 2015, 06:44

sedstar wrote:hmmmmm.....

my very FIRST build ?

i carefully adjusted the eyepiece of my scope to be perfectly focused crosshairs, before i started my add on build... it took me "some time" to realize that the IR camera and human eye with visible light... do NOT focus the same...

took me a while to realize i had to adjust the scope eyepiece for the CAMERA, not for my EYE...

Heck, even funnier story? i was shooting for YEARS, before anyone told me i even COULD screw the eyepiece on my scopes in and out to focus the crosshairs. I had thought that was for setting "eye relief", not for focusing the crosshairs... so, unless i am mis-thinking (addon build behind scope) then...

1) he might be like me and not realize the scope eyepiece can even focus the crosshairs
2) a new builder might not immediately realize they have to focus the crosshairs for the IR CAM and not their human eye
Very good points :thumbup:

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 04 Jul 2015, 07:01

Thats some very good thinking sedders - and where the 'eck have you been?

I too find the ocular adjustment needs a tweak from my daylight human eye setting to use the add-on to best effect. As that made a difference to non - parallax scopes I'm guessing it also has an effect on adjustable parallax ones.

I just push my DSA up to the adjuster and twist it to get the best retical focus as in the video below before locking it down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10UZCShT6dw

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 04 Jul 2015, 09:37

to me? its really funny... as a KID i had a telescope (really a glorified spotting scope? but same thing...) and i quickly understood i had to FOCUS it to bring the image in sharp. I had a pair of binoculars? again, i had to FOCUS it. I had a CAMERA? and well... YOU get the idea.

years go by, i get into GUN SCOPES... all of a sudden? its really just a specialized telescope, really (telescopic sight? LMAO) and all of a sudden, theres "no focus" its "factory set".

no one tells you, cause almost no one knew you could unscrew the main front lens bezel, and "focus" the main lens by screwing it in and out... that was the "pro trick". Floored me, to FINALLY find out all these years later?? that i could set "parallax distance" to whatever the heck distance i WANTED to... that i could use an old 3-9x40 hunting scope for a bbgun scope, and set the "parallax" to 10 danged yards if i so desired. Set my "50 yard parallax" 4x32 scope to 100 yards if i felt like it...

to me, the front lens is just "main focus" whether your screwing it in and out yourself, or, its adjustable objective...

for SOME reason? we started calling "focus" by the name "parallax", which makes it confusing.

====================================================================================

i honestly dont know why the instructions always refer to "adjust the eyepiece in and out to SET EYE RELIEF"... when REALLY you are simply focusing in the crosshairs, LMAO... "eye relief" is mainly set in stone, by the FocalLength of the eyepiece, LMAO...

==============================================================================

PS - where have i been? Hmmm... my business i worked for closed... and before that, i got robbed and amongst everything stolen? ALL my night vision prototypes were on firearms that were stolen... I'm working part time now, and once i am working more days, i will get back into this, as i was almost "done" (a relative term ,lol) and cant wait to finish. On top of all else, my father is dying, and me and my oldest brother are taking care of him, which is a round the clock job without pay. (so... my job ended, my new "job" doesnt pay anything, and i cant work more than one day a week anyways)

this will all take some time to settle alll of this, after which i VOW i will re-make my prototypes, and get a small cheapie LATHE... this hobby has become one of my "permanent" hobbies alongside reloading and shooting, music composition, electronics and radio, etc etc...
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

Jirka

Post by Jirka » 04 Jul 2015, 15:35

sedstar wrote:for SOME reason? we started calling "focus" by the name "parallax", which makes it confusing.
It is actually not that confusing. Typical hunting scopes have a fairly deep depth of field. So being out of correct focus by some 20 % or so does not really affect the image visually and you can still see it as pretty sharp.

However, if you are out of focus by that amount, the reticle is not projected onto the same plane as the target which causes relative movement of the target and reticle. The reticle flows over the target and changes its position relative to target as you change your position behind the scope. And this is far more critical to perfect shot placement than the sharpness of the target image. And this priority is also reflected in naming of those scope controls.