ICX633 chip Camera

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
andybig

Re: ICX633 chip Camera

Post by andybig » 21 Jan 2015, 20:32

Dave did this job for me about 12 months ago when i found the cheap C mount adaptor from china that screws into a bullet camera and the 30mm OD tube to fit both the ej230 and Miracle cottage cameras.
I was one of the first to get the Miracle cottage camera in the country.
Then dave designed the bullet camera tube with the C mount built in, for the scopeless builds.
No matter if your using a C or a CS lens you will need to take off 5mm at the start and then you might need to take off more.
This is because most sellers (Especially on ebay) dont have a clue if a lens is C or CS.
Thats why daves camera tube works so well.
It allows you to take more than 5mm off the front of the bullet camera and move the camera closer or further away to suit which ever lens you have.

Bizarro

Post by Bizarro » 21 Jan 2015, 23:43

Yep, you are correct had that backwards the CS has to be 5mm closer than the C lens.
Some Bloke can you get them to post a sticky link to your youtube videos, I think they would be of help to others?
Here is the skinny on both types of lens
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_mount

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 22 Jan 2015, 03:53

LOL, It's quite ironic that after big Andybig (did I say he's big?) gave me the push I needed to get my ass into gear with the tubes that I now take a step back in thinkering time - to cut an access slot in the side for Toni's Broom Pro builds. This time I do have a small bench milling machine and yesterday I bought a carbide ball end cutter to radius the corners of the slots.

As Andy says - If you use my C mount tubes you can remove all of the front threaded part from an EJ230 body and slide it as needed to make it more lens versatile.

Knowing a lot of you are not equipped for some build jobs - here is an unashamed service pitch that I maybe ought to put in some other relevant threads:

Anyone buying an sb C mount tube can send me their pre-stripped out bare EJ230 body for me to knock off the front and rear for them at £5 towards the cost of my bench tooling. The finished body gets slipped into the SB tube for the return trip.
SEND IT VIA RMSD PLEASE BECAUSE SOME OF MY MAIL GOES AWOL.

I am also willing to buy an EJ230 for anyone buying an sb C mount tube - and modify it to a 'some bloke EJ230' as follows:
Test it, remove the front lens cap and lens, remove the camera from the body, cut the cable just short of the 'y' split, remove the rear body from the board(s), saw off the mounting spigot, face off the rear plate, face off the front thread, remove the IR filter, re-fit the boards and re-fit the backplate, I can do that at a total cost of £100 including the EJ230. That offer is in place as long as the SURE24 discount applies.

To be clear, I am making about £14 for this service towards my tooling costs because I know it can make the difference between build or not build for some of you. The camera will have no warranty because it has been modified and I may have to leave the red rubberish joystick cover off because the fitting collar is a bitch to screw back in.

Like so>
Front end faced off:

Rear fixing lug and plate faced off:
Last edited by some bloke on 22 Jan 2015, 08:45, edited 1 time in total.

Plowboy

Post by Plowboy » 22 Jan 2015, 06:15

Where is the like button when you need it? I a week or 2 I am going to do that mate! Sounds like you're a top bloke, not just some bloke! :wave: :clap: :clap:

I am selling a few hundred sheep so that should cover the costs.....

some bloke
TRADER MEMBER

Post by some bloke » 22 Jan 2015, 08:38

Plowboy wrote:Where is the like button when you need it? I a week or 2 I am going to do that mate! Sounds like you're a top bloke, not just some bloke! :wave: :clap: :clap:

I am selling a few hundred sheep so that should cover the costs.....
Baahaa - luvely jubbly Plowboy. :thumbup:

Bizarro

Post by Bizarro » 22 Jan 2015, 18:34

Now ya make the offer after I just ordered a new camera! :lolno: I'm always a day early and 5 quid short! Sounds like a great deal for those with no milling machine to do the work with. I will be ordering the C tube mount from you as soon as I determine how I want everything set up.

francus

Post by francus » 24 Apr 2015, 04:39

some bloke wrote:I appreciate you have probably come here looking for answers you didnt get anywhere else lol. - welcome to the formum. :angel:

Rolands 'tube' at £75 - or my 'tube' in the lower right photo below at £40 posted UK are indeed an easier solution but we don't do it on the cheap. Mine allows you to slide the camera as close to the lens as you need it to get if you remove the threads at the front of the EJ230 body.

(Sigh) :( I'm going to have to blurt this out because it needs to be said. Saying something in a straight speaking way often gets people to sit up and take it in better, and maybe someone else reading this gets it right first time:

You have a cracking camera but are probably cropping its potential by feeding it with a grotty image. Ask me if I get frustrated about this and I'll tell you I feel like shit every time I see it's happened because I have tried so hard in so many places to save people from themselves. I can just about handle it if the advice is sought before it goes wrong. I see the same story all over facebook too. I'm a truthfull person who tells people what they need to hear rather than what they want to hear - time and time again making me look like a party pooper:

'Scopeless' is only worthwhile if you can do it without needing IR most of the time. The very term 'night vision' has become a wrong label because so many people would rather mask poor performance and blast dark into light with an illuminator rather than pay for the right kit to shoot in natural light.

Natural light that is completely free, weighs nothing, needs no container, doesn't need bolting to a rifle and doesn't require batteries. :P

A cheap Scopeless needs an illuminator much more often than a quality one - so the effort to create a rig that rarely needs IR is totally wasted. Many of the times you use an illuminator at subsonic range you are focusing the light into the eyes of quarry watching you watching them. Some scarper - some don't. You can do that with any scoped add-on rig.

A larger lens format is OK on a smaller CCD sensor - but not the other way round.

As I typed this I felt I was intially having a bit of a rant but I now feel I have got something off my chest.

I've not used that lens and to be fair it MIGHT do you OK at low mag but RAGE cams seem to spout so much bull that I dont beleive half of what they say lol. I would bet the F stop is only relvant at its low zoom setting and high zoom will be almost a blackout in the low light we need it to perform. If you are in USA a C mount Cosmicar 75mm would not cost much more than that zoom lens.

C mount lens will allow you more space (15mm to 17.5mm) between the sensor and lens. What caliber/range are you going to use it at?

There are quite a few scopeless rigs floating about these days - maybe you can get to meet up with someone for a looksee. If you - or anyone else lives close enough to Leicester to come and see what can be done then I can usually sort something out an a Sunday or Monday night.
Interesting! I was not fully aware that a add-on rig may require more IR. But is that always so? I need to buy a scope. I was considering an Optisan Viper. Perhaps one with larger lens such as 8-24x56 may be set with 8 magnification at 50 yards with an air rifle and still be usable without IR?

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Post by phoenix » 24 Apr 2015, 09:22

A scopeless rig using a good quality large aperture lens (typically f1.4) will always be more sensitive than an add-on, irrespective of the scope being used (assuming the same camera)
Scope manufacturers don't publish aperture figures for their products, but you can get a fair idea of focal length by measuring the distance between the objective lens and the front of the windage and elevation turrets.
Once you have the focal length and the diameter of the objective lens, you can calculate the aperture from:
Aperture = focal length/diameter.
Looking at picture of the Optisan Viper, I'd guess the focal length would be around 140mm.
With an objective lens diameter of 56mm, the aperture would be around 2.5.
f2.5 is good for a scope, but an f1.4 lens would pass almost 4 times as much light as the scope.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

francus

Post by francus » 24 Apr 2015, 18:37

phoenix wrote:A scopeless rig using a good quality large aperture lens (typically f1.4) will always be more sensitive than an add-on, irrespective of the scope being used (assuming the same camera)
Scope manufacturers don't publish aperture figures for their products, but you can get a fair idea of focal length by measuring the distance between the objective lens and the front of the windage and elevation turrets.
Once you have the focal length and the diameter of the objective lens, you can calculate the aperture from:
Aperture = focal length/diameter.
Looking at picture of the Optisan Viper, I'd guess the focal length would be around 140mm.
With an objective lens diameter of 56mm, the aperture would be around 2.5.
f2.5 is good for a scope, but an f1.4 lens would pass almost 4 times as much light as the scope.

Cheers

Bruce
4 times more light!?! This is outstanding. But doesn't it depend on magnification. This scope is 6-24X56. A lot more light obviously pass from 24 magnification to 6. This may also be 4 times. What magnification does your scope calculation implies? And also what magnification does the scope-less f1.4 has? It seems to me that any comparison makes sense only if the magnification is the same, or at least taken into account.

Bruce, this is not to quarrel on your post. It is obvious that you know a lot more than me. I am just trying to understand.

andybig

Post by andybig » 24 Apr 2015, 19:15

Its true your rifle scope will always offer more magnification than a scopeless nightvision device because a 100mm lens will give you around 7 times magnification.
In simple terms the Ir light has to pass through loads of different coated lenses in a normal rifle scope thats designed for daytime use.
On a scopeless rig the Ir light passing through 2 or 3 lenses that are designed for low light use.
Most scopeless builds use C mount CCTV lenses or M42 mount lenses used for low light photography or they have come off older night vision devices designed to gather light.

An add-on night vision device needs loads of Ir light, where as scopeless rigs will work without Ir light if you have partial moon light.

Bruce will tell you better than i can,
He's a night vision Techno Guru, who has helped me out many times.