Who is really good at English grammar?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
some bloke
NON EMMET

Who is really good at English grammar?

Post by some bloke » 29 Nov 2014, 02:41

OK, so I was driving some foreign visitors through the countryside and one of them asked me to explain how COUNTY gets to sound like COWNTY - but why does COUNTRY get so sound like CUNTRY?

I couldn't come up with the answer - anyone got the knowledge to explain that? :angel:

I'm picking them up again in about an hour. :angel:

Radagast
junior librarian

Re: Who is really good at English grammar?

Post by Radagast » 29 Nov 2014, 07:13

Derived from the Old French term for County, brought over by the Normans. They used the words Conte & Cunte, apparently interchangeable. I guess it moved from there.

Now there's a possibility for making more life peers. Obviously there are a large number of superannuated politicians that each party would like to 'promote' to the House of Lords to get them out of safe seats, but the other team would kick up a fuss about because they can't stand them. Bring back the old terminology. Create them Lord Quango, Cunte of Whatevershire. The objections would go away simply due to the pleasure in referring to them as the Cunte from ....... :)

jdk1

Post by jdk1 » 29 Nov 2014, 08:43

Radagast wrote: The objections would go away simply due to the pleasure in referring to them as the Cunte from ....... :)
Its a very common title round here , theres the one from the post office , the one that gave me a parking ticket , the one with the constantly barking dogs on the other side of the lane etc etc :lol:

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 29 Nov 2014, 11:31

I'm surprised there are still barking dogs on the other side of the lane. :angel:

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 29 Nov 2014, 17:41

:D