New display

Show and tell for your homebrew nv projects. DIY 'Stickies' here too.
lightmesser

Re: New display

Postby lightmesser » 07 Dec 2017, 09:27

MrNewbie wrote:With the front lens out, I tried.
T20 aspherical 28 or so lens..whatever is in a T20
38mm lens out of a 1503
Some junk store flashlight 22mm

Man you are wrong here.
T20 is 38mm
T50 or 1503 is 50mm (49,3mm)
And there is always possibility that you did not place them right.

They require some fine fiddling so for example when you building a flashlight you can't just stick them to emitter and expect they will work. You got to find x and y distance where it will perfectly focus and perfectly de focus emitter.

In this case we don't have to find x y point. We got to find X only... Point where it will enlarge object without any distortion or fish effect.

And of course not all lenses will work good. You have various choices of lenses and I really think that plastic flatter aspheric lenses should work the best so I already have few 25-28mm one on order.

MrNewbie

Postby MrNewbie » 07 Dec 2017, 12:36

You are correct,

I was way off on my lens sizes.
At least I threw out the T20 and unf1503 names, I wanted to try standard lenses that everyone has, or could get.

I just held them by hand in back of the screen to see if they worked a little bit.
It was my plan to build a little jig holder if I could get even decent results. The results were not good enough to warrant it.
With a 3d printer it would be real easy to make a holder for the x and y axis on any size lens.

I am kicking myself though, That little circle lens in the 3buck magnifying lens, I forgot to test it.

Before I get busted again... a minor update on the cell phone take apart of the unit.
1) pop the back cover off...be gentle with that ribbon cable
2) take out the 4 little screws that hold down the little screen (screen retainer)
3) Now the screen can be pulled out, try to avoid, but if it pops out its no big deal
4) Take out the 2 remaining screws, these 2 screws simply prevent the front end (lens) from unscrewing all the way.
5 )put the screen and 4 screws back in, pop cover back on.

Front end can now be unscrewed all the way
Even made cell phone vids, but don't bother watching unless above is unclear to you
https://youtu.be/PBSqH3brKNU

superslack

Postby superslack » 12 Dec 2017, 12:43

paulham wrote:Hi all. The display arrived this morning.
Bruce. Was the JST connector wired correctly?
I have plugged in a JST pigtail I have and the colours don't line upImage

I got my display off the slow boat. Mine looked like yours with the jst pigtail. I had already connected the pigtail to my voltage regulator with the black to the - and the red to the +. the display did not power up, but started getting hot. I swapped the leads on the voltage regulator and it powered up and worked fine.

The display is small!

has anyone popped the driver out of the back cover? I was thinking of mounting the back cover to a project box for a monocular.

paulham

Postby paulham » 12 Dec 2017, 12:47

superslack wrote:
paulham wrote:Hi all. The display arrived this morning.
Bruce. Was the JST connector wired correctly?
I have plugged in a JST pigtail I have and the colours don't line upImage

I got my display off the slow boat. Mine looked like yours with the jst pigtail. I had already connected the pigtail to my voltage regulator with the black to the - and the red to the +. the display did not power up, but started getting hot. I swapped the leads on the voltage regulator and it powered up and worked fine.

The display is small!

has anyone popped the driver out of the back cover? I was thinking of mounting the back cover to a project box for a monocular.
Thanks for accidentally testing if the device has reverse voltage protection. I guess from you post that is has

superslack

Postby superslack » 12 Dec 2017, 13:58

Yes, I meant to state that more clearly. I'm not sure you could leave it indefinitely as started heating up in short order. But, you should be ok with a clumsy mistake for a few minutes.

I don't know if makes a difference, but the input voltage I am using is 3.3 volts.

lightmesser

Postby lightmesser » 12 Dec 2017, 22:56

Wait...

It is not clumsy mistake either... If I got you right you connected red to plus and black to minus? In normal world red is plus and black is minus...

If so than it is their clumsy mistake.

I can't say this is reverse engineering either... It is really unique product but they should now what red/black wire is for :(

Return to “DIY Nightvision”