Thermal..... Again!

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
fizzbangwhallop

Re: Thermal..... Again!

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 22 Nov 2013, 10:03

longbow3 wrote: can anyone tell me where is the best and cheapest place to buy a thermal imager?
I have a new pulsar on order from bushwear in perth but I am wondering if I am being to hasty and I should bide my time and safe up for a FLIR H307 or would the pulsar be suffice??
this night vision/thermal game is a minefield when it comes to buying kit and I don't wanna make a wrong move.
Scott Country posted on the Stalking Directory yesterday that they were expecting new stock anytime now......link to footage in there too

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

Rickfitz

Post by Rickfitz » 22 Nov 2013, 18:47

I'm Waiting, lets hope its next week as promised

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 22 Nov 2013, 22:39

I'm sure I read they were in and being delivered next day delivery so it could be tomorrow 8-)
I reckon your going to have more pleasing results with the iscope on the thermal screen..

fizzbangwhallop

Post by fizzbangwhallop » 23 Nov 2013, 20:20

Christened the 38S and the 595 .17rem/photon/doubler/t20 last night :) ...... sat up in a high box with a good view across 3 fields to the hills.... bit of woodland in 130m in front.

Have to say I'm impressed with the 38S.... I could see definition in a scrubby hedge and the trees on the bank and skyline behind it getting on for about 3/4's of a mile away... and definition on the clouds. I followed a jet taking off from Luton, I could see the difference between the engines, the fuselage and the tail... that must have been a good 3 miles away... and then again as it climbed away from me through the clouds! 10 miles by then? Shit! :o

Could see rabbits way out over the fields....including blobs out around 400m. You definitely need something like a fox or a deer to give scale to the picture... I went onto 2x a couple of times but soon went back to standard.

Thought I caught a bit of movement over on a fence line and had a quick squeak but nothing showed, then after about five minutes looking the other way there was foxy coming in from about 30 yards to within 20feet of the box I was sitting in. Could see it carrying a pheasant 'til it either got my wind or clocked me and legged it. Bugger... any movement and it would have done the runner anyway. I could see some heat in the woodland opposite and I was convinced it was the fox waiting to come back not quite knowing what had spooked it but it turned out to be a bloody rabbit. :lolno: Downer.

But these things always happen for a reason as after another 20minutes I saw 2 across the other side of the field.. coming towards me. One got just about in range but I didn't have a clear picture - the photons are pretty focus fussy with doublers on. :problem: Both went away. More bugger!

Saw one in the gateway down the field and started squeaking only to be ignored... then a couple of mins later I picked the other coming back across the field to the squeak and it conveniently sat down about a 100m out ('cos it just knew!) and waited while I faffed with the focus. Result! Big fat heavy vixen. :thumbup:

Saw what must have been the dog working the hedge for rabbits the far side of the next field and went after it but no joy there. Next time.

So, all in all I'm very impressed by the 38S... it definitely got better as it got dark/colder. The display is very bright and a bit of gel might be the answer to tone it down. I did try all 3 of the modes and got on with all of them... and reverted to auto-calibrate even though it gives you a blip of vertigo when it freezes for the couple of seconds whilst panning.

Battery life seems to be good.. I got into the box around 4.30 and left around 9.30 and it was showing 3/4's full on the supplied Ansmanns, turned it back on again tonight and it's showing one bar off full (Warmer in here!)

I also had the 14/tripler lens with me last night and it was quite pleasant to have a look through that now and again..... the thermal is 'kin bright!

My doublered Photon is very focus fussy as others have found and with a very narrow field of view making things difficult to find......I did have to re-check where the foxes were with the Thermal a couple of times. Just wonder if it's worth taking the doubler off and trying that.

's me.

Cheers

Fizz
8-)

Edit... Forgot to mention... I took the 4" reversing camera screen with me and initially tried to use that rather than blinding myself but soon gave it up a s a bad job as it just didn't have enough definition at arms length - probably something to do with the need to wear glasses for distance.. or not. I ended up taking the glasses off and re-focusing the thermal and the Photon to match.

A correct grip on the butt & cheekweld is imperative for accurate shooting. :crazy: :lol:

Rickfitz

Post by Rickfitz » 23 Nov 2013, 21:05

nice review, im starting to get excited now, lets hope mines here next week & the wife doesn't see the postie bring it,
I think I might have to have a rummage through my bin, I think I chucked out a few sheets of green gel earlier :oops:

Rickfitz

Post by Rickfitz » 23 Nov 2013, 21:34

Rickfitz wrote:nice review, im starting to get excited now, lets hope mines here next week & the wife doesn't see the postie bring it,
I think I might have to have a rummage through my bin, I think I chucked out a few sheets of green gel earlier :oops:
Ive got my gel back lol

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 23 Nov 2013, 22:16

Good stuff Fizz, sounds like you're getting to right grips with it :thumbup:

Interesting you didn't get on with the screen. This might be a totally stupid suggestion but can LCD screens 'freeze'? You always seem to read frost free OLED screen or words to that effect on the near eye displays :? I've found my screen gives a really decent pic but not quite as sharp if you really try to look at the small heat source detail at say 500 yrds +. I did think that the picture on my screen deteriorated the other night as it went on and wondered about the frost :think:
Also interesting you still find the screen really bright even with the brightness control. I tried to dim mine down with a filter but found it lacking in clarity at distance as I couldn't pick out the slight heat sources as well/quick as normal. You definitely get used to the bright display as others have said though. I also find some of the colour palettes slightly gentler on the eye on the guide if Im only using the view finder/eye piece.
That's great that it IS the 5 hour battery life with the normal AA's. I missed an opportunity on a fox Thursday night because of battery power. I'd been static all night to no avail so decided to walk upwind a bit and flash the lamp around before I went home and there was Charlie tucked up nicely in the fern. It walked off as I watched through the thermal and then decided to drop down the bank and walk towards me. I switched to the Nv but just couldn't see it coming through the fern. The thermal had died so in a panic I changed the batteries because I couldn't see it with the Nv. When I switched the thermal on Charlie was the other side of a gutter staring straight at me, couldn't scent me as I was downwind but could see me plain. With that my gun fell over on a rock before I could grab it and Charles took off over the bank and out of sight until it was out of range. I sat and watched for a bit but figured it better to try another night than waste educating it to calls so went home pissed off as if I'd just persevered with the Nv I would have eventually picked it up for an easy shot. I'm away at the moment but it'll be having it first chance next week.

On another note does anyone know if them fusion type thermals like the clip on thermotechniks will work with a 6x scope or do they only work with the likes of a 1x mono?
I've read they were good to 300-350 with the mono but that would be the ultimate answer for me with a dedicated, a thermal outline with the clarity of NV...

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 26 Nov 2013, 16:39

Couple of different colour palette pic's if anyone's interested....

Bugger, spotted....

This was the standard black hot I think...

I'm almost certain this was number 8 on the colour palettes in white hot but for some reason it's reversed and the black shows as hot. This is often the best one for detail if you're 'unsure' and also my favourite pic, it 'was' so cute :silent: :lol: ...

robert16

Post by robert16 » 26 Nov 2013, 16:51

What distance is that fox :thumbup:

Fox Hunter

Post by Fox Hunter » 26 Nov 2013, 17:04

robert16 wrote:What distance is that fox :thumbup:

If you mean the first pics, I don't know precisely. It was under 100yrds, most probably closer to 50. I can range find it another time if it is of importance. I haven't range found it already because it was so close. The last pic is an extreme close up, you don't 'usually' get that sort of opportunity but I was so chuffed with the pic I thought I'd share it :) .