Hello everyone, introducing myself.

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
Steveoshea223

Hello everyone, introducing myself.

Post by Steveoshea223 » 20 Dec 2023, 15:01

Hello, I'm Steve, thanks for granting me access to the forum, I'm not a forum partaker normally. I'm keen to view topics and discussions though to help better educate myself and maybe pass on a bit of my findings where I can.
I live in north Cornwall, I'm into my shooting, I shoot air rifles and rimfire, but mainly into the foxing at the moment with my .223, shooting lamb protection on my in-laws farm and pheasant protection on the syndicate ground that I'm part of. Only as and when I can, for the enjoyment of it as well as helping the farmers/ gamekeepers etc. (I'm a carpenter by day.)
Night vision wise, I first got involved approx 3 yes ago when I upgraded from the red lamp to a pard 007a ( 16mm), and I swap it between several of the guns to use for ratting to foxing. It's fantastic, I look at others and like the idea of getting more nv kit ( and I probably will in time) but the pard does the job great, produces a clear image and is reliable. What more do you need.
It's greatly improved at longer range with the vcsel light I got from ludicrous lumens ( budget type). Again, I'll probably upgrade that in time to a wraith+ or a dark sun blade.
Earlier this year I was getting more into it and realising I was struggling in one area, spotting.
I would scan around with the gun and pard and get achey arms which doesn't help to take a shot when the moment presents itself. I found myself to be in the market for a ir spotter, thermal would be great but until I can afford a decent one, I'm going to skip the small lens ones as I believe they're only good for closer range work.
I looked for a while and eventually found myself with a nightfox cub, what a difference, now being able to scan around and leave the gun slung on my shoulder. The only thing I quickly found to be a limitation was the range the ir light would produce. I sorted this by buying the mount that threads into the camera thread and allows a person to clamp a torch to the other side. I believe the torch I have for this is an ignite X20, it made things a lot better but wasn't so pocketable unfortunately. I'm addressing this now by replacing the tir optic on the cub for a convex lens(, if it goes well, I'll post about it)
I've since been looking for a bit more range to spot the foxes so when the black Friday discounts were on, I bagged a nightfox vulpes, a bigger unit with a larger screen, 6x base magnification and a range finder. The lrf only works out to about 280m and the splash is a bit big but a nice featured to have for the price. Again I upgraded the IR by attaching a picatinny rail to the top so I could add a torch. This time I opted for a night sabre 48mm with xhd 850nm pill from ludicrous, the combination works great and in clear conditions, I can see out to 500m, larger objects like trees and buildings I can see out to nearer 700m.
I can provide mini reviews on any of these items if anyone's interested in the future.
I see a thermal spotter on the horizon maybe next year, especially if I can take advantage of one of these interest free finance deals etc. I also like the idea of trying a dedicated nv scope like the hik alpex or cheetah maybe.
Who knows what the future will hold.
Look forward to more nv use and correspondence on here.
Kind regards
Steve.

some bloke
NON EMMET

Re: Hello everyone, introducing myself.

Post by some bloke » 20 Dec 2023, 18:02

Aright my 'ansum? :angel:

Thassa great introduction you did there, welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

sikapup

Re: Hello everyone, introducing myself.

Post by sikapup » 21 Dec 2023, 00:22

nice one :wave: