Repair Pulsar Quantum XQ19 for a friend..

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
JoanTheSpark

Repair Pulsar Quantum XQ19 for a friend..

Post by JoanTheSpark » 24 Jul 2022, 02:23

Hello from Far North Queensland.

I got a friend who does bird/animal spotting and his XQ19 has developed a broken on/off button (as far as we can tell).
He tried to go via official service here, but apparently there is none :wtf:
That's where I come in (retired electronics engineer).
I ran across a post on 'thestalkingdirectory.co.uk' on a pulsar repair guide (viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22094) that was copied from here re a shutter servo on a pulsar unit, so I thought there might be more knowledge available/collected here.

Finding a manual for the unit wasn't straightforward (no obvious support page on the manufacturers website exists afai-can-tell) and I'd rather have a service manual. Or some video or imagery of a unit that's been open(ed).
Also the rubbery parts/coating on the outside have turned ugly and somewhat sticky so It's really time to replace some of it (the eyepiece rubber cover is really mangled). Is there some official store/service parts delivery system or how does that work?

Thanks
Joan

phoenix
BRUCE ALMIGHTY

Re: Repair Pulsar Quantum XQ19 for a friend..

Post by phoenix » 24 Jul 2022, 08:24

Sorry, you're out of luck.
Pulsar have never made any service manuals available and have never sold spare parts.
Other than replacing the shutter servo, I'm unaware of any other DIY repairs that have ever been carried out on these units.

Cheers

Bruce
LAND ROVER - THE WORLD'S WORST 4X4 BY FAR

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 24 Jul 2022, 09:20

Pulsar themselves also won't repair anything over five years old.
I think the best you could do is find some sort of replacement switch yourself and mount it with some kind of sealant such as sika flex to keep the unit weatherproof.

I don't think there's anything you can do for the sticky rubber either since it's breaking down. I've had it before on an old spotting scope, I just wrapped some camo tape round it :D
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

JoanTheSpark

Post by JoanTheSpark » 25 Jul 2022, 03:21

Thanks you two.
So I'm on my own - yay :roll:
I see if I can document it somewhat and post it once I'm done. Might be a little while.

I think I found some eye-piece rubber replacements on aliexpress for AUD $45 or so.
So we'll go with those then.

As for the worn rubber coating on the plastic pieces, I'll probably try to remove it then in due course and we'll stick with the original parts.
Wish me luck ;)