Anyone do Scuba Diving?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
rodp
NON EMMET

Re: Anyone do Scuba Diving?

Post by rodp » 28 May 2017, 06:34

If I remember correctly my last fins had a vent narrower than the pocket, and my toes came to the end of the pocket. I always wore boots due to the temperature over here and the end of the boot came full length to the end of the pocket. That left about 2 or 3 inches out of the pocket.
Put the fins on the floor (after wetting them) and put a foot on one fin, then kick the other foot into the pocket to get a good tight fit. Repeat for other fin.
Dip fins in water first so pocket is soaked. :thumbup:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Frogman Ladue

Post by Frogman Ladue » 28 May 2017, 21:33

I should get them in about a week. I'll give it a try. Thanks roddy!
Evolving work in progress, E700+DSA (Build Finished Feb2016)..Link

Last update to US spec'ed E700+DSA T-20,T67 Build. (US Parts List!)...Link

Frogman Ladue

Post by Frogman Ladue » 05 Jun 2017, 00:40

Against your advice, the mask I got..
http://www.aqualung.com/us/dive-gear/d ... s/pacifica

Fins...

https://randysdiveshop.com/product/deep ... lide-fins/

Snorkel...

http://divingduds.com/phantom-aquatics-dry-snorkel/

I picked up a Cressi kit for my dad...

https://www.cressi.com/Catalogue/Details.asp?id=956

And I picked up a SJCAM 4000 WIFI action cam with underwater accessory kit.

http://sjcamhd.com/sjcam-sj4000-wifi/

I should have a review up by the end of July.

Thanks again for the guidance.
Evolving work in progress, E700+DSA (Build Finished Feb2016)..Link

Last update to US spec'ed E700+DSA T-20,T67 Build. (US Parts List!)...Link

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 05 Jun 2017, 16:01

If you're happy with them then that's all that matters :thumbup:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 11 Jun 2017, 19:55

fascinated by scuba diving since i was a kid.

in me late 20s to early 30s? i had money and time, and was seriously looking at "ebay kits" for freshwater.

my basic plan? laugh at me then... was to buy the "basic kit" and just go into my friends pool, and teach myself how to breathe, and see how the kit worked. Then if i had a "problem" all i had to do was, well... kind of stand up. when comfortable? i had a friend worked at a "big pool" and ws going to go in the big pool 15 mins at a time underwater, moving around, to get more comfortable at it.

figured then i would go take the class, when i had the basic idea down pat and could concentrate on any technical info i was given for the claswork portion of it all.

one of the relatively few things i always wanted to do, that i never got to do.

==============================================================

i actually owned an entire kit, minus tank and "inflatable flotation doohickey". none of it FIT ME though, guy must have been smaller than a girl scout. got it for free from a dead guy when they cleaned out his house.

i used to play with the regulator mouthpiece thing, was amazed to learn i could breathe in and out how it worked.

===============================================================

as a little kid swimming? i was the kid who ALWAYS brought a "good mask", snorkel, and fins... fins let me swim underwater back and forth the pool, and, erm... lets just say that i sort of "enjoyed" looking UP at all the older girls from the bottom of the deep end, eh?

*blush*

i used to run long distance as a teen and young adult, and my little brother and i would amuse ourself at mom and dads pool in the backyard? seeing who could hold their breath longest. i was good for up to close to 2 solid minutes.

in case you ever wondered?? chain smoiking for 25 years has NOT improved my breath holding, despite what all the other smokers told me to get me to start smoking, LMAO

===============================================================

i have the uncanny ability to swim long distances on water with no fear of drowning. my dad wasnt satisfied with my little kid swimming lessons? said i looked like a fish out of water, which for a kid IN WATER is kind of funny... dad got me private one on one swim lessons rest of the summer with the world famous GUS BRICKNER. (dad worked with him so he knew him personally, or, it never would have happened)

GUS was really big on 2 things... one? you have to be able to float on your back, and so good you can fall asleep doing it... and a LAZY back stroke that takes no effort.

i have saved 2 human lives, and several pieces of property because of this. i shamed the volunteer fire department "rescue team" because they were all a-scairt to jump into the river in "flood stage". i question the depth of their water training because of this, LMAO.

=================================================================

i wonder where all this "come from"?? honestly, i think i spent a large part of my adult life, doing adventure things that mnost people think are dangerous? in part because i am showing off to look like a tough guy, and in part because a big part of me was more or less an adult as a child, and so now i am still part child as an adult... meaning, i am excited to do something "like in the movies".

the vast majority of "dangerous, adventure" activities, like rock climbing and free climbing?? are simply learning what you are doing from people who already know, and being familiar with it.
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 11 Jun 2017, 20:09

GUS BRICKNER made 2 serious attempts to swin the english channel, to tie this all to you brits.

he was a couple hundred yards offshore when he went unconscious, just a couple hundred yards from victory.

GUS was the "original" human polar bear... people saw him swimming behind actual ice breakers... and HE is the original reason everyone goes into the river on new years day in many cities around the states and probably the world.

i freaked people out at university at "river parties" a couple times showing off? there was snow on the ground, but... my secret was?? i had a thermometer and KNEW the water was warmer than the air was, and that i could swim the couple hundred yards back and forth across the river.

=====================================

GUS holds 2 world records. one for longest miles logged lifetime swimming... the other worlds record? is "pulled" as too many people have DIED trying to beat his record... longest time in the coldest water.

HINT: in real life? if you ever HAVE TO get into seriously cold water for a real purpose? strip naked and smear yourself with PIG FAT then put your shorts back on to go in the freezing water... it will buy you PRECIOUS MINUTES to extend your time able to keep moving in the water, if its life or death and you have to go for it.

also, when you smear yourself with thick PIG FAT ??? when you get O-U-T of the water?? you are STILL not out of danger of hypothermia... the thick pig fat allows you to "recover" quickly and much more safely.

you only take the pig fat OFF, long after you are warmed up and in warm dry surroundings...
Well, I understand that, boys... but see, my CAT gets the silly idea you're making fun of HIM... then he gets, *really* mean...

sedstar

Post by sedstar » 11 Jun 2017, 20:17

PS - A-N-Y type of oil or fat, the thicker the better? will keep you alive in MUCH colder temperatures fo a very long time than you ever thought possible, if its life or death. for instance the car breaks downint he middle of winter and you dont have warm clothes??

strip naked and smear your naked body with warm mOTOR OIL, then get re-dressed... and THICK GREASE is highly preferred.

messy and nasty? but... you will live to tell about it.

=========================================================

thick grease is some of the best "insulation" you can get a hold of, and, just keep walking slowly but not stopping, which keeps your core warmer...

wrap any rags or fabrics or plastic sheets you can get a hold of, over the grease before you re-dress and start moving... if that means ripping the seats fabric off of a vehicle? its life or death, so go for it... and any abandoned vehicle will give you the oil or grease you need, as well as fabric from the upholstery.