It's going to be one of those years

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
rodp
NON EMMET

It's going to be one of those years

Post by rodp » 25 Apr 2017, 20:46

:roll:

Daughter wandered in last night, with her husband, carrying a box of doughnuts "for Pa". I thought "what's up now". Casually they drop out "Oh, you're going to be a grandad in November" :shock: Wife's over the moon at the thought of a first grandchild, I'm thinking "bugger, that's killed off my roaming around the countryside in retirement" :lol:

On top of that, my son just this second texted me saying "Oh, we're getting married in August". That'll be down in Wiltshire.

It's going to be a busy year methinks ...................... and all I want is peace and quiet :cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

some bloke
NON EMMET

Re: It's going to be one of those years

Post by some bloke » 25 Apr 2017, 21:57

Ah, its great getting to be an old git innit. :thumbup:

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 26 Apr 2017, 00:31

For the wedding, all that tradition requires of you is sign a cheque and turn up, try not to get obnoxious after drinks at the reception. Practice being old and grumpy and you will not be asked to do anything else.
As for the baby? Expect it not to be an issue until he/shes toddling and the new mum is no longer paranoid about handing her off. Then your free time will be reduced. But at that point you can offer to fit it with its own set of set of NV goggles and introduce him/her to the real world! Waffle on about Photonis having a new 16mm tube, light weight for small heads. Be a complete Anorak and be amazed that you are never asked to babysit at night. :P

Congratulations! Remember, the best thing about nieces, nephews and grand kids is spoiling them rotten then handing them back when you feel like a nap. :)

some bloke
NON EMMET

Post by some bloke » 26 Apr 2017, 00:36

Radagast wrote:For the wedding, all that tradition requires of you is sign a cheque and turn up, try not to get obnoxious after drinks at the reception. Practice being old and grumpy and you will not be asked to do anything else.
As for the baby? Expect it not to be an issue until he/shes toddling and the new mum is no longer paranoid about handing her off. Then your free time will be reduced. But at that point you can offer to fit it with its own set of set of NV goggles and introduce him/her to the real world! Waffle on about Photonis having a new 16mm tube, light weight for small heads. Be a complete Anorak and be amazed that you are never asked to babysit at night. :P

Congratulations! Remember, the best thing about nieces, nephews and grand kids is spoiling them rotten then handing them back when you feel like a nap. :)
.... And getting them in trouble. I generally teach the grandkids at least something naughty every week - even if its only throwing cushions about or playing in mud. I think my best effort was teaching one to lick his finger and poke it in nana's ear. :angel:

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 26 Apr 2017, 05:17

some bloke wrote:
Radagast wrote:For the wedding, all that tradition requires of you is sign a cheque and turn up, try not to get obnoxious after drinks at the reception. Practice being old and grumpy and you will not be asked to do anything else.

.... And getting them in trouble. I generally teach the grandkids at least something naughty every week - even if its only throwing cushions about or playing in mud. I think my best effort was teaching one to lick his finger and poke it in nana's ear. :angel:

Now this I could take to :thumbup: Must remember to make a point of this :lol:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 26 Apr 2017, 06:25

I was at the point of last resort when it comes to looking after my two nephews even before they were born. For fear of what i might teach/give them :lol:

Last time i was left alone with them we were found screaming up and down country lanes all three of us on my motorbike.
they're 3 and 8 years old, not a helmet between us.....appearently thats not 'responsible' behavior. In my defence...they were lovin it :lol:
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 26 Apr 2017, 16:50

sunndog wrote:I was at the point of last resort when it comes to looking after my two nephews even before they were born. For fear of what i might teach/give them :lol:

Last time i was left alone with them we were found screaming up and down country lanes all three of us on my motorbike.
they're 3 and 8 years old, not a helmet between us.....appearently thats not 'responsible' behavior. In my defence...they were lovin it :lol:

This is what I fear, I'm going to get myself into a load of trouble. Hell hath no fury like an upset daughter :twisted:

Going to stick with the idea of as little contact as possible, I'll be safe then :lol: I'll stick to plan A, wandering the country as and when it pleases me. :thumbup:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

silent shooter
FOUNDER

Post by silent shooter » 26 Apr 2017, 19:16

Rod your going to love mate, my grandkids are the best thing since sliced bread although there mum and dad keep moaning we spoil them :thumbup:
Geoff

sunndog
ADMINISTRATOR

Post by sunndog » 27 Apr 2017, 06:37

Silent Shooter wrote: although there mum and dad keep moaning we spoil them :thumbup:
Geoff

Think that means you're doing it right mate :thumbup:
Thermal hunting forum

https://thermalhuntingforum.com/

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 27 Apr 2017, 15:47

Hmm, I'll take your word for it Geoff but I'm not convinced I'm cut out for it mate. My son became my best mate but we sort of grew up together, he went from toddler to young man and I matured (sort of) :lol:
having little uns around again could be stressful to the extreme and I don't suffer idiots and faffers, it winds me. Only time will tell :thumbup:

"Argo, a great 8x8"