PIR's, anyone know anything about them?

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
rodp
NON EMMET

Re: PIR's, anyone know anything about them?

Post by rodp » 09 Jan 2017, 16:42

Problem with that one Phil is detection range again, their spec is "Detection range adjusts from 5' to 10'". So that reads as up to 10ft. That's just an expensive driveway alarm I'm afraid. I think the answer is to either risk buying more sensors and hope they match my receiver (can't remember where I bought mine from) or buy a new receiver and 3 or 4 sensors to spread about.
"Land Rover, the worlds best 4x4 by far"

"Argo, a great 8x8"

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 09 Jan 2017, 17:35

Rod, the YouTube Buck Alarm link that I posted states that the PIR detection range is 5 foot up to 30 foot and up to 330 foot back to the base remote unit. Position 3 sensors 20 foot out in a East & West & South pattern from a bait station and you are covering a huge patch of area surrounding a bait station.(or set up in a triangle of a back sensor and a East & West sensor) I would be more than happy with 20 plus feet cover off each of 3 sensors ???
Bow hunters in the US might know of a better quality make/kit. ?
Phil
ImageImageImage

22-250jock

Post by 22-250jock » 09 Jan 2017, 17:57

watcha Rodders,

i was looking into something similar for a keeper friend who has a bait station in the field behind his house

we were toying with using these sensors https://www.electricalcounter.co.uk/pro ... 4132288563

but haven't got any further with it yet.

if you're sitting in a vehicle or fox box, have you got an inverter you could use to power the reciever? then you may have more choice :think:

cheers jock
Last edited by 22-250jock on 09 Jan 2017, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
“When guns are outlawed, only the Government will have guns. The Government - and a few outlaws. If that happens, you can count me among the outlaws.”
― Edward Abbey,

hairyyoda

Post by hairyyoda » 09 Jan 2017, 18:02

Rod, up to 5 PIR sensors capable of each having a 12 meter detection range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Home-A ... SwKOJYJ~b0

Phil
ImageImageImage

chas
Banned again

Post by chas » 09 Jan 2017, 18:34

How about some infrared perimeter beams ?
There are some battery operated versions that can cover 100m post to post, so you'd need enough to cover your intended area and mounting height might be a problem if there's foliage or high ground in between them.
No idea of cost but would think you'd have to dig deep.
Effluent in many languages.

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 09 Jan 2017, 23:37

hairyyoda wrote:Rod, up to 5 PIR sensors capable of each having a 12 meter detection range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Home-A ... SwKOJYJ~b0

Phil

Sent a message to a couple of suppliers of those Phil asking how much for extra detectors, have to wait and see. They seem to be the best out there without spending ages searching, and I like the way it tells you which pir is picking up a signal.

perimeter beams wouldn't work around the fox holes though chas, they would only tell me when the thing had buggered off :lol: :lol: We've got fox and badger holes in the same area here and don't want to get too close to the badger setts for obvious reasons. I can set these up well away and have warning of anything coming out, if it's fox then let him start to sniff the air and bye bye Charlie. Perimeter beam would work on bait station probably though, but in my case I think pir is best.

"Argo, a great 8x8"

Gloop

Post by Gloop » 10 Jan 2017, 12:06

This is what I use very successfully.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1byone-Drivew ... Sw2xRYbTnQ
They have plenty of variations you can use.

The fact they are white helps me to find them because they are placed out in a wood. It is a private wood so they are left out there all the time. The transmitters are set between 35 and 50 meters out. Which is all I need.
The first time the alarm went off I nearly crapped myself with the noise. Fox didn't seem to mind as he ignored it completely. Hence changed them to light only. And as I am in a dark fox box, I, as previously mentioned reduced the light to 1 led which has woken me up when caught napping. :) so plenty bright.

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 10 Jan 2017, 19:27

Gloop wrote:This is what I use very successfully.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1byone-Drivew ... Sw2xRYbTnQ
They have plenty of variations you can use.

The fact they are white helps me to find them because they are placed out in a wood. It is a private wood so they are left out there all the time. The transmitters are set between 35 and 50 meters out. Which is all I need.
The first time the alarm went off I nearly crapped myself with the noise. Fox didn't seem to mind as he ignored it completely. Hence changed them to light only. And as I am in a dark fox box, I, as previously mentioned reduced the light to 1 led which has woken me up when caught napping. :) so plenty bright.

I have one of those, albeit with only one detector. problem is they're only a maximum of 8mtr detection and 45 deg. Ideally I wanted much longer range and wider angle. Seems the only ones available at a reasonable price are the ones Phil linked to. Just trying to locate either more detectors or a kit with more than two.
The one you have are good though, nice to know when you've taken your eyes off the job (drinking coffee and eating biscuits) that you've not missed anything. :thumbup:

"Argo, a great 8x8"

scirroco

Post by scirroco » 16 Jan 2017, 04:37

Hi rod
I think utrings do some kind of detector with decent rNge
Rgds steve

rodp
NON EMMET

Post by rodp » 16 Jan 2017, 22:03

Well, I bought one off amazon with 5 detectors, one receiver. Just waiting for time to try it out now. Usually go on a Friday but off to wales buying quads again this Friday so new toy with have to wait :cry:

"Argo, a great 8x8"