Hi there!

A place to introduce yourself, chat about anything and put forward suggestions.
Instructions on how to add your location and photographs.
jeroentjj

Hi there!

Post by jeroentjj » 26 Feb 2016, 13:25

Hello guys!
Since I played Splinter Cell Chaos theory for the first time, about 10 years ago, I've always wanted to build a set of night vision goggles. Currently I am a pruduct design student and with components etc getting cheaper since ever I think it would be a good time to finally realize that childhood dream. I've seen some builds of NV builds on for example youtube and instructables but they all feel quite thrown together. For my build I would like to replicate the original goggles of Sam Fisher. I plan to rip the actual 3D model, get some projection shots from it and remodel them for 3D printing.
As to the system itself, I've come across these video goggles with AV input:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/52-Screen-Virtu ... Sw4bVTmppu
For the camera's (<more on that later) I was thinking of something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-CAMERA-W-N ... Swa-dWjVzV

Since you guys are way further in this, if I would use two cameras and can get these to show up next to eachother in the goggles, would depth perception be possible?

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this!

Cheers!

CustomRifleScopesUK

Re: Hi there!

Post by CustomRifleScopesUK » 29 Feb 2016, 22:43

Hello,

and welcome to the forum.

Great idea and i am going to be working on something similar as i want a helmet type setup with NV and an IR laser on my shotgun for night hunting
what ever my laser hits i hit with a 12g LOL

i also have a shop on here with lots of parts, so if you ever need something then visit the parts section. I do the best 640x480 near eye screens. Oh and just to let you know, don't use the duel screens, it gets disorientating and doesn't help in many ways, also ruins your own nightvision as too bright in both eyes !

Hope this helps Splatty

Radagast
junior librarian

Post by Radagast » 04 Mar 2016, 14:36

reindeer

Post by reindeer » 10 Mar 2016, 13:55

Hello Jeroentjj,

Always nice to meet another fellow Dutchman with mutual interset on DIY-NV on this forum.
I have done a lot of resaerch and testing of videoglasses for the sole purpose of using them in a DIY digital NV systems
I can only recommend you to stay away from cheap Chinese goggles with QVGA (240x320 pixel resolution) because they are simply not good enough for your purpose. You need at least VGA reolution (640x480) to get acceptable images. Even better is WVGA, (840x480)
It is very important that your videoglasses are plug and play for AV-in. Many of the cheap so called 'virtual theatre' video glasses show a menu you have to go through to choose between different settings each and every time you use the glasses. This feauture will become a nuisance instantly.
For me the Zeiss brand of videoglasses, which unfortunately are both end of life by the way, are good enough to be used for NV. The Cinemizer and Cinermizer plus are LED based and easy to operate but difficult to get hold on. New they were around € 300.-- Expect to pay between € 100 and € 150 for a used pair in good condition. There is a white pair on auction at Marktplaats for € 99,-- right now. Cinemizer OLED uses OLED screens and offer excellent image quality. New they were about € 700,-- and they are selling now for prices between € 250 and € 500. There is also one on Marktplaats for € 450,-- right now, which is too expensive I think. These rather stiff prices are possibly the reason why not more people use high quality videe glasses for NV. I have supplied some of my friends with Cinemizers for boar hunting and I can assure you they will never turn back to alternative ways of DIY NV

Since you are young and probably much better involved into new technology than an old school fellow like myself, I would focus on the augmented and virtual reality systems that are all around now to be used in combination with a smartphone. This setup has been discussed here before and the problem seems to be how to transfer an analoge video signal to a digital device like a smartphone and produce an image on it. :idea:
No fence is too tall.......